Distance from power to washing machine outlet

Hi, Just got a question. Wondering if theres a required minimum distance between the washing machine trap and a plug socket. The socket has a isolation switch above the worktop. Thanks J

Reply to
John Borrman

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:50:42 -0000, "John Borrman" strung together this:

Not a specific distance as such but a bit of common sense comes in useful, e.g. don't put the socket directly next to it where it could get drenched if the pipe overflows.

Reply to
Lurch

The reason I say this is because the only place for it to go is right next to it..... It has been placed a little lower than the plug this should be ok?

Reply to
John Borrman

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:19:46 -0000, "John Borrman" strung together this:

Probably, if the top of the pipe is below the bottom of the socket then it should be OK. On a related point, is the WM standpipe high enough? There's not usually much room between the top of the pipe and the bottom of the woktop when they're installed correctly.

Reply to
Lurch

Reply to
John Borrman

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:23:28 -0000, "John Borrman" strung together this:

Ah, to be fair, most probably are but it's best to be avoided if possible. Could you not move the pipe to the side a bit? If not, then I don't think yours would be much different to most others installed in the UK.

Reply to
Lurch

Ah, but if the trap is directly above the socket, and also contains a few old screws (as it was and did when I moved into this flat, and I failed to check that the trap was clear before running the w/m), then when the w/m inevitably overflows, it will drench the plug, tripping the RCD, and thereby stopping the w/m from pumping any more water all over the floor.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:09:46 GMT, Ben Blaukopf strung together this:

Hmm, I can't see a reference to such a cut-out in any BS regs or manufacturers websites, perhaps it will incorporated in the next amendments to BS7671?

Reply to
Lurch

Can one obtain moisture detectors that are designed to trip an RCD?

Reply to
Ian Stirling