Dishwasher repair/replacement

Our Whirlpool ADP 4504 dishwasher looks like it needs new PCB at a cost of £104.73!

I don't mind repairing it but, as it's ~5 years old and already had a couple of other parts replaced, I'm tempted to replace it.

Anyone care to comment on continuing (un)reliability and/or recommend a replacement?

I don't think you can go far wrong with a Miele.

We have had a Siemens integrated one for 6-7 years, it gets used a lot and has only had one part replaced, however I have heard that Siemens/ Bosch/Neff are not the same good quality as they once were.

Reply to
David

That seems to be the consensus but they're too expensive for me, even taking into account the argument that 'you can buy one Miele that will outlast two cheaper whatever'.

Have a look at AEG, Zanussi and top end Bosch models.

Reply to
David

I've gone over to Bosch dishwasher and washing machines and they both seem to do German reliability at more like Italian prices.....

Reply to
newshound

In message , newshound writes

Italian prices as in 'kin expensive ?

Reply to
geoff

I look after two Whirlpools (IKEA ones) for different relatives. Both have had problems, but have not been unduely unreliable. They are 8 and 9 years old.

One was DOA - sprayed water everywhere on first switch-on. Whirlpool engineer looked inside and said it looked like it never completed it's passage down the production line as several bits were missing. He fitted lots of parts and left. Next wash cycle, it did the same. They sent another engineer, but I had uninstalled it and packed it all up carefully again in its original packing crate, so they wouldn't try repairing it again. That worked, and instead of trying to repair it as he'd intended, he ordered a new one.

New one was fine, except the door brakes both broke after a couple of years (plastic pulleys which don't rotate and generate friction to stop the door falling open/closed too quickly). Got replacements from CPC.

The second one developed a leak - the outlet from the main pump split (apparently a common fault with that pump, which is used on lots of dishwashers), but its leak detection tray caught this and it didn't do any damage to the solid maple floor it stands on. I repaired by cutting off the integral outlet hose, and using a piece of car radiator hose, which is still in place now a few years later.

More recently I checked this one after a leak which turned out to be user error (something shut in the door seal). However, I noticed the two door brakes were also broken on this one, but are still working. Also, the pump is starting to leak from the shaft seal, but not enough yet to cause a problem.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My Indesits lasted seven years, but now have a five year old Bosch needing atention !!, Daughter has Beko no problems yet ,

Reply to
Leveled

I can add a few more data points from dishwashers around the family which I know of and in some cases maintain.

A bottom-of-the-range Creda is 19 years old, and still working perfectly. It needed a new wash pump at 2 years old (drive shaft seal leaked, and water ran back into the motor bearing making it seize). After replacing that, nothing has needed doing for past 17 years, although I've noticed some of the internal rubber hoses are looking like they're starting to perish.

A Zanussi my parents had for, possibly 10 years, up to 10 years ago, was on a maintenance contract and probably needed a callout about once a year to keep it working. There would also be an urgent safety recall about once every 2 years, requiring Zanussi to come and replace some part, or wrap insulating tape around something. (More than one of the recalls involved chafing of the cable bundle going into the door.)

Two Homark compact dishwashers. First lasted about 10 years and the drain pump seized. I couldn't find a spare quickly, and owner couldn't wait so it was written off. Second one is 8 years old and still working fine, except it stopped heating at one point. I took the controller apart, couldn't find anything wrong, but it worked fine after reassembly. Also noticed the mains interference suppressor on the mains inlet had exploded at some time, presumably when no one was around. Looked like an after-thought anyway, possibly added just for the UK or EU market, and remained connected even when dishwasher switched off (but not after exploding;-). Good thing it didn't start a fire.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed- we've had nothing but trouble with a Hotpoint/Whirlpool/Hoover washer and d/washer. A brand new hotpoint flooded the kitchen overnight after its maiden voyage. Since gone to Bosch. Washer is now 7 yrs old and does at least one cycle per day and hasnt missed a beat.

They are both mid rangers, not top or bottom end .

My 2p...

Tim

Reply to
Tim..

I think people place too much trust in a brand name. Pity we can't examine the internals before we buy - but they are much cheaper than they used to be - so we can only assume that components are build to a price and serviceability is no longer a consideration.

I believe many production lines in Germany have many Turkish workers. However, most stuff is designed for foolproof ergonomic assembly nowadays.

In many parts of Europe this make is considered good:

it hasn't made much headway in the UK because of 'name badge resistance' (by retailers and customers). Made in Slovenia.

Reply to
John

Asked a local independent retailer what he thought of that make when I was looking for a new washing machine about two years ago. I had seen the make mentioned a few times as being good VFM and as the retailer had one of their freezers on display wondered if they dealt with the washing machines. The business owner mentioned he had supplied about half a dozen and then stopped . Most had needed a follow up visits post install to sort out niggling faults that indicated a lack of quality control during manufacture. As a small firm the cost of making these visits in time, money and damage to reputation was not something they could continue doing.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg