Dinky Toys string

Some people buy stuff as an investment. I suppose pristine stuff will increase more.

Reply to
harry

I can't imagine how such stuff could exist. Can you imagine getting a toy train for Christmas and not playing with it? Or did people buy stuff and stash it away as an investment years ago.

Most of the stuff I had for Christmas back in the fifties was second hand. As it was for virtually everybody I knew.

Reply to
harry

I think it was more that a new train set or similar was a fairly major purchase for ordinary people, and Junior was supervised, and knew he would get a wallop if he destroyed his expensive toy.

Agreed. My 'major' presents such as my first clockwork Hornby set and later Hornby Dublo were bought second hand. Other things like a wooden garage and later, a fort, were home made, probably from Hobbies plans. Perhaps 'based on' Hobbies plans is more accurate. My poor old Dad was not that good with DIY.

I was taken to see Father Christmas at Gamages each year, and one year the gift was a set of soldiers, which I think must have been Britains. Anyway, joy of joys, that was the same year my Christmas present was a wooden fort. Serendipity? Even better, later the 'free gift' in Kellogg's cereals was a soldier, too. Still have several Kellogg's marching bandsmen.

Reply to
Graeme