Dimplex electric timer ...

Following on from my post r.e. my dimplex timer (Replacing a Dimplex heating timer ...26/10/2005 14:33) My landlord's electrician came round yesterday. Basically he says Dimplex haven't superseded this timer

he thought some silicon spray might help. Nope. He next suggested putting a spare duvet over it to baffle the noise. I'm not that keen on being caught in my flat when a spark lights my spare duvet nex to my front door.

Anyway, here's the system ....

Basically it's split into two zones. The bedroom is one zone running one heater, the other zone is the hallway and lounge running three heaters. The circuit breaker is running a 30amp fuse. The heaters are

(PLX200N) which are rated as 2kW with thermostats.

So, as far as I can tell, they run seperately from the timer. i.e. this noisy contraption is purely just a timer and when it powers them, them run inpendently with the thermostats controlling them. The electrician was talking about "load" when the system starts up. Something about switching three heaters on at once.

Now this is where I need help. What do the heaters draw, what can I replace this timer with (preferably electronic) and what else do I have to think about before I call up the electrician with a solution?

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
elyob

Hm, 4 x 2kW heaters exceeds 30A anyway, and I don't think diversity is applicable, so it seems the installation is unsatisfactory anyway.

If the timers are simply used for convenience/economy and are not related to an Economy 7 off-peak installation, why not remove the centralised timer and, if necessary, fit 13A electronic timers to individual heaters. Smiths Timeguard do timer controlled FCU outlets. This would also give you more flexibility over arranging on and off periods.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"> Basically it's split into two zones. The bedroom is one zone running one

There are number of issues, are they convectors or storage heaters? If you want a totaly slient control then you will need a device with solid state relays, have a chat with these people.

You will need parts such as the CKRA4830E a suitable box, fuse protection and a timer. Please take furthe advice from Crydom, it won't be cheap.

Reply to
James Salisbury