Digital TV - DIY articles

Before that. Log-aperiodic aerials were available for VHF TV reception from the mid 50s onwards but because of their huge size were only seen in fringe reception areas. My father had a bee in his bonnet about being able to receive TV from Emley Moor so we had a steerable VHF monster fitted to the house back in 1967, that was the first time I recall anyone mentioning a log-aperiodic aerial. UHF TV didn't reach our backwater until the late 1970s.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, all of it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

There were Band III logs in use in the UK, and they are still used in Ireland. see

Bill Wright

- except IIRC ours was horizontally polarised.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Graham. scribeth thus

They are used for FM Band 2 broadcasting and reception..

Mainly for making stocking and supply easy like UHF TV.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Never saw one round these parts;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Same here (certainly not in the UK). Unless you had a pressing need to receive several channels on the one aerial, I would have thought that a log periodic aerial would have been the last thing you would use 'in outlying areas'. I never saw one.

Maybe the circumstances in Ireland were different, especially if you were trying to pick up the UK transmissions. I can imagine situations where you might have the choice of several UK channels from the same general direction. Although reception might be a bit 'hitty-missy', a relatively low-gain LP might be a better choice than a single-channel aerial.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

When I first saw UHF aerials (on a visit to London in 1961) they were nearly all of the 'double loop in front of a reflecting screen' type. Was the 'double loop' a fancy way to make a broadband folded dipole, or was each of the loops one half of a 'normal' dipole?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Three years before Crystal Palace started any public UHF transmissions ?

These ? :-

used to be a few to be seen in Chichester, W Sussex too.

Reply to
Mark Carver

In article , Ian Jackson scribeth thus

My auntie had one with what looked like two V shapes sprouting from the connection box, worked very well in Sloane Square on the roof of a six story building;) You could get up there via a roof hatch!..

Nice views!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes. That's the type. Now I've seen a photograph of one, I see that it's (probably) a double 'quad'. That aerial is, in fact, horizontally polarised.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Time was when all you could get Home Light and Third in a relatively small part of the band. If asked, I suppose the average customer would want all National Local Commercial and Pirate stations from

88-108 Mhz irrespective of direction.
Reply to
Graham.

In films and photos I have seen, VHF aerials resembling Logs seem to have been the iconic shape for a TV aerial as was the H and X over here in the 50s

Reply to
Graham.

You can see CP from the roofs in Sloane Square.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:11:26 +0000 someone who may be tony sayer wrote this:-

I didn't see any until recently either. However, it is only in the past few years that I have had the inclination to find out more about the subject.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 16:28:17 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

I don't recall seeing any. I wasn't living in a rich part of the world at the time.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 16:49:38 +0000 someone who may be PeterC wrote this:-

I see from that it is only the HD models, at least at the moment. Click on the download link at the top of the page and select your model to see if there is a recent update.

Reply to
David Hansen

In article , Bill Wright scribeth thus

Yes indeed I remember that well .. couldn't see Croydon tho!...

Reply to
tony sayer

How come?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Dunno .. perhaps there was another building in the way, long time ago now. I was only a nipper at the time and perhaps shouldn't been crawling about on the roof some 80 odd feet high anyway;)...

Lennox gardens if anyone knows where that is .. Can't be sure of the number now either might have been 27 or 28!...

Reply to
tony sayer