Digital TV - DIY articles

This is interesting. I made the expression up (although of course Googling it now reveals that it is in fairly common useage, so many other people must have made it up as well!) and it went into a Wotsat article a year or so ago. Since then I've seen it several times in newsgroups. In fact I think I've used it myself!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Agreed. A basic title like 'digital tv' is a starting point, and as such needs to be an easy read to be useful. Thats why initially I kept it to a very basic 'here are your choices' article. Bear in mind its mainly useful for people that still havent gone digital, and a lot of these people are confused about the subject. Many people just want to know what they need and to make a choice, and arent interested in alot of technical detail.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The latest mods retire this bit as a standalone section. and instead just add a comment on the end of the section about CAI approval - words to the effect of regardless of the type of aerial; here are some things to look for when trying to identify a good quality aerial (decent construction, reflector, and balun).

Reply to
John Rumm

Just before i heard the expression of "the cyclist under the Clapham bendybus"

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

John is still new here. He should Google this group for "No more nails"

Reply to
Graham.

Laugh is I've not noticed a bendy bus in Clapham - they are sort of more confined to the central area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

(WTF! it's supposed to be a web page, not a book!) for the channel counts, and no links to proper lists from those numbers, and 12 months out of date for their Freeview cost. Pathetic.

The best source I've found is wiki:

are 89 FTA radio channels, and given that they're all FTA and appear in the EPG for UK users, it's not possible for FSFS & POWF to offer a different number of channels. So the freesatfromsky webpage must have just been wrong.

NB: 0152 - BBC London 94.9 - "Not on EPG outside London" - but that's dependent on which Postcode your viewing card is registered to, not what kind of customer you are.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Snip

I "think" the toeing in is to keep the electrical spacing of the active elements the same over the wide bandwidth of the antenna. If, for example, one channel to be received is chan 23 and the other chan 66, the spacing of the elements that are active for either channel need to be spaced by whatever fraction of a wavelength needed, hence the boom-to-boom distance decreases with increasing frequency. A good number of relay stations use crossed logs for transmit antennas, usually

90 or 120 degrees and the crossing point is determined by the channels used.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Well they start in Central London but it's not until Clapham that the cyclists body underneath gets discovered

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

Ah well, crossed logs I understand. The aerials are one above the other and the active zones line up, so there are no deep nulls. But I've seen sites where four aerials side by side are used for reception. Messing around with the positions of the deep side lobes is a bit irrelevant here, unless there's a specific CCI problem.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I seem to be totally missing the point as well. To feed a log periodic you have to shove the coax up one of the tubes and connect it to the front ends of both. That forms a balun. Who is it that is going around saying log periodics don't have baluns?

Reply to
Alan Pemberton

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:48:12 -0000 someone who may be "Graham." wrote this:-

Fortec Star have had a seven day electronic programme guide on their receivers for some months. I understand that they have reverse engineered the Freesat data.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 22:46:43 -0000 someone who may be "Graham." wrote this:-

field he is talking about. Assuming he is talking about them being a fairly recent development for domestic television reception would anyone take issue with him?

As I recall my reading they were developed in the late forties or early fifties by navies, who wanted to reduce the clutter of aerials for various radio frequencies with one broadband aerial. There are photographs of ships with very large versions. This was 20-30 years after Mr Yagi's patent.

Navies have come up with all sorts of space saving broadband aerials, though they might not look so good on houses.

Reply to
David Hansen

I think the suggestion is that it is far less readily apparent on a log since there is not usually a separate transformer etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes I would. See this aerial, installed 35 years ago.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The BBC took the original short wave version and redesigned it for uhf reception.

JBeam were selling domestic ones in the 70's and there was also a "TopLog" (set top one) sold by Labgear around the same time.

The WRTvH sometimes had an advert for a Swedish short wave one where the smallest element appeared to be about 1ft in diameter. Designed for broadcasting. They were also fairly common of the roof tops of London embassies before the days of satellites.

Reply to
charles

They were around for domestic use when UHF broadcasting started in the UK. Although rarely used due to cost. I used one for my first colour TV - just after BBC1 and ITV went colour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't see it, must be too far away :-)

From my point of view, as a long time observer of aerials rather than a rigger, LPs were commonly seen in the 70s and early 80s along with various "grid " type arrays as a means of combating ghosting. Then they went out of fashion for some reason, now they are making a comeback and are even promoted as the aerial of choice for normal good reception situations, which was never previously the case. Just to clarify I am talking about UHF TV reception here.

Would you agree with any of that Bill?

Reply to
Graham.

Log aperiodic aerials were common even back in the days of 405 line TV. Maybe those in towns and cities never saw them, but out in outlying areas it was common to see some military sized monsters in farmyards.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Interesting - how do I get that? I've a Fortec Lifetime box receiving Astra

2, but I'm not sure that it's Freeview as such.
Reply to
PeterC