Frost Damage and the Beastly Box Spanner.

Something I have not needed to do before is repair a 22mill tube with frost damage..

It was boxed in and sealed nice an cosy with foam and yet the law of maximum cussedness kicked in,,(as usual)

Why did it have to burst in such an awkward place ,, inside a box filled with lovely cosey foam,, it was leaking from the top and the bottom and I had to take the kitchen to bits to find the exact spot.

And then I find the solder on couplers will not fit,, the tubing was slighly oversize... I ended up having to tap a socket down to expand the couplers..

Any one come across this before,, does this usually happen,, the tube getting bigger I mean??

Monster Link Here and the beastly box spanner from my last post..

Rupert Bear

Well of there is no heat to keep in, the insulation does not help much. Rising cold water can be very cold in winter, let it stand in a freezing loft for long enough and it will lose what little heat it has even with the insulation. That's normally why you don't insulate under tanks and pipes etc so as to allow a bit of heat to bleed through from the house.

yup, when the water freezes it expands the pipe. Sometimes it just stretches, other times it splits. You can guess what it will do when its going to be hard to get at! ;-)

John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

When do you sleep..??

Reply to
Rupert Bear

at various times - not always "conventional" hours though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Fancy explaining how you made that box spanner, and letting it be put on the wiki?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

If it is 3/4" pipe you can get straight 3/4" to 22mm couplers (either solder or compression) from a decent plumbers merchant, probably not from B&Q etc, then just replace the old pipe with a length of 22mm.

Make sure you cut back and clean up the ends of the old pipe thoroughly no matter what type of coupler you use. Solder would be better, provided you are confident of soldering 22mm pipe and you have sufficient access to do it, as it will be all boxed back in again I assume.

Reply to
DavidM

Do you know I wasted a day with that train of thought,,, and trailed about till i found 3/4 to 22 mill solder couplers in wickes..

It is not the solution,, unless the wickes coupler adaptors are wrong...

3/4 imperial is measured on the OD ,,and 22 mill is measured on the ID.. 22 mill was the large end on the wickes ,, 22 to 3/4 adaptor.. I needed 22 mill to something slightly bigger.. 22.5 by my measure..

Thats why I posted here to ask if anyone knows that tube can be stretched by frost.. Ive never come across it before...

Rupert Bear

Is that like spilling custard on me shirt,, or something..?

...........................................................................= ...

Reply to
Rupert Bear

Its in the thread on removing a stuck immersion heater...

Reply to
John Rumm

Something like that... ;-)

Its our own little FAQ / encyclopaedia of DIY are related stuff.

Have a browse:

have an article on immersion heaters:

very end has a short bit on replacement. That could do with some additions to cover some more tips. Your spanner would go nicely in there!

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh Dear,,

Custard on me shirt again,,,

Sorry Puss ,, I took your remark/suggestion the wrong way didint I...

I can post a better piccie if anyone wants to snip and post on wiki,, feel free..

I may have some other interesting snaps if i can find them..

Rupert Bear

Yup, why not - might help someone one day.

Reply to
John Rumm

e:

pics taken on a white background have their advantages.

NT

Reply to
Tabby