Different tile drilling question

I am going to fit a shower on Saturday where a previous one was installed. The pipes are in the airing cupboard and pass through the wall straight onto the shower. The plasterer has plastered over the holes and the tiler tiled over them. The easiest way to get the pipes positioned correctly would be to utilise the old holes to do this I would need to drill into the bathroom from the airing cupboard through the new plaster and tiles into the bathroom. My question is can I drill through tiles from this direction without damaging them? TIA

Reply to
Broadback

No, but if you drill a tiny hole you will only blow off a little glaze. Then you can do it in the other direction. Obviously take time to get the first hole completely central, and go real slow taking measurements to know how deep you are.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Not at all easy.

I would expect that one tile would fall out.Cut a hole in it or a new one and replace it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd do that too - and use the smallest masonry drill you can find for the pilot hole. Also, if at all possible, while you do it, have an asssistant hold a large think chunk of timber across the tiled area where the drill bit will emerge, to dissuade the tile from coming off or breaking.

Having said that - I question whether you wouldn't be better off starting from scratch from the front. If you're able to diy fit a shower, it shouldn't be too hard to reposition the pipes in the aring cupboard to the best place - sounds like you're fitting a new shower unit anyway, ie with different pipe positions? And consider of course that even if you do manage to drill successfully from the rear, then Murphy, the Great God of DIY, will ensure that the hole is positioned as awkwardly as possible relative to the new tiles, eg right over the grout.

David

Reply to
Lobster

You can make it much easier by using diamond coated hole saws, lik this-

them with plenty of water to keep them cool

-- weekendwarrior

Reply to
weekendwarrior

Thanks for the reply, I will carefully look at the airing cupboard to try to align the holes but drill them from the bathroom.

Reply to
Broadback