Dickering Flimmer Switch

At SWMBOs request I fitted a dimmer switch in out dining room. It flickered on some settings, so I took it back to TLC who swapped it for another. It still piggin flickers!

It's a 400w Ultimate push dimmer with 15 'click' settings.

First 5 clicks show no discernible light, 6,7,8 fine, 9 flickers, 10,11 OK, 12 flickers faster, 13 flickers but not as fast, 14 & 15 OK.

Wired up as per instructions, live to L2, neutral to Comm. Tried L1 & Comm, no difference.

Lamp is a 40w LBC which, according to the packaging, is dimmable.

I've tried 3 lamps, but they all do the same.

Is 40w too low, or maybe the lamps aren't dimmable?

Any ideas before it drives me mad?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've certainly seen that before - sticking a 100w bulb in solved it. Harder to do know I guess :-)

You can get lower wattage ones - not sure how low they go though.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Have a look here:

there is a specific low-wattage version - or one of the V-pro range might work.

(Is that in time? Or have you already been driven?)

Reply to
polygonum

The load is far too small for the switch. It barely knows it has one at 40w.

Reply to
Ericp

What's an LBC?

There are a few different dimmer designs.

Some have a minimum load, and for a 400W dimmer that's more likely to be 60W or 100W. Symptom if too low is that lamp goes out when dimmed dimmed past a certain point, and possibly flickers around the transition point.

Some will only dim filament lamps (or resistive loads).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In other words, they go up to 11..but no more.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The two wires to the switch are live and switch-wire, if it was live amd neutral you would have fireworks when you switched on.

The lamp might well be dimmable, but so is a 15w incandessent pigmy bulb, but a single one will flicker with most dimmers.

What is an LBC?

Reply to
Graham.

Large bayonet cap.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wrote in news:VUfms.222896 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx08.am:

Most 400 watt dimmers require a 60watt minimum load.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The 1" diam one? I haven't seen one for years

most domestic ones are simply BC (bayonet cap)

Reply to
charles

Hello Graham,

LBC - Lampe Basse Consommation (French: Energy Saving Lamps)

ttfn Ian.

Reply to
Ian

Hello Graham,

LBC - Lampe Basse Consommation (French: Energy Saving Lamps)

ttfn Ian.

Reply to
Ian

96
+1 - I've just removed one from a friend's house; it has always flickered since she moved in because the previous owner had fitted it for a lampshade that only allowed 40W bulbs. Worked fine when I out a larger bulb on to it.

Doesn't say much for TLC that they didn't flag that up to you TMH - the one I took out says 60 to 400W on it.

Rob

Rob

Reply to
robgraham
[Snip]

TLC are a wholesaler, not an advice bureaux. You are supposed to know what you are buying.

Mind you some of their staff are incredibly helpful.

Reply to
charles

Thanks to all who replied, 60w 'normal' lamp and all is well.

What a great NG!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman