Detering Foxes

Over the last two nights foxes have reduced the middle of my lawn to a quagmire by digging loads of small holes. What's the best way of detering them?

Googling comes up with some some stupid advice from several Council web sites saying that as the foxes are after worms 'all' I have to do is eliminate the worms - hey I >>WANT

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Council

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That's a good start for some information, anyway - if you know anyone in that line. Snares are a possibility, or if you can stay up for a while, a very swift cure is feasible. However, the latter does take up time.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Local pet shop might have something. Does pepper dust work on them for instance?

IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes

Reply to
Brian G

"Snares must not be set on or near public footpaths, rights of way, near housing and areas regularly used for exercising domestic animals to avoid capturing pets."

"Snared foxes must be killed quickly and humanely by a shot at close range from a rifle, shotgun or pistol ... Air weapons must not be used"

Rob Morley

Use Renardine. It is a chemical liquid which can be bought at garde centres and it stinks, but is very effective. I have used it before an it worked a treat. Alternatively buy one of these:

Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

family of foxes living behind me and frankly I'd rather they were fed and happy than slinking round the place all mangy. They live here too.

BB

Reply to
Big Bill

not since 24th march 2005 - it's been banned.

Reply to
news

It's only a "code of practice", not the law - however, I only mentioned snares as a possibility - most people would not know how to make/use these.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They breed according to the amount of food available. It doesn't seem wise to feed them.

Mange is caused by a mite and is always fatal in foxes. Foxes naturally moult so what you might think is mange could easily be just moulting.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

If charges were brought of causing suffering to animals (wild or domestic) then I suspect adherence to the COP would be a major factor in the outcome.

The COP tells you how :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Mange in foxes can be successfully treated. If left untreated it is fatal.

Reply to
Rob Morley

A Gun ?

Have you ever read "fantastic Mr Fox", suddenly the Gun Suggestion looks very wrong.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

So it must have actually been usefull then.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Creosote was, too. I gave the end of the garage a coat a couple of weeks ago. I wonder what the "creosote substitute" sold by Wickes is like. I know what it *looks* like... you get the drift.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No wish to kill them, though releasing them in the back garden of 10 Downing Street may change a few minds

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

They would have to beware of the dog.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
YTC449

I thought diesel was also a good plant killer, or do you have to light it for that effect ?

Reply to
Rick