Del boy dowels

I have some 'dowels' that consist of debarked cut hardwood twigs. They were cut to select the straightest most consistent sections, but they aren't perfect. Question is do such things have any possible use in woodwork? I'm not interested in whether to get a bag from some supplier, but rather whether any possible use can be found for these things in the 3rd world.
NT
You'll probably find they are much stronger than machined dowels. I expect in third world countries, it's the norm to use them. They can't afford to waste anything.

You're wrong, as always.

You're wrong, as always.

You're wrong, as always.
On 18/10/2014 10:10, Rod Speed wrote:

Given that accurate dowel drilling is virtually impossible in some situations, I have been known to drill oversize holes and set the dowels in 2 part filler. In that case they don't need to be dead straight
Bill Wright wrote:

The Question was:
"Question is do such things have any possible use in woodwork?"
The question was answered! I could have simply said yes (I use them on some of the mortise and tenon and jointing work that I do) but I chose the indirect answer - now if you couldn't understand the question, I how could you possibly understand the answer?
And by the way, your " That's not the point. Now that better things exist it is pointless to use the older inferior types, unless there's a serious cost differential." shows tha you really din't know what you're talking about as it is far better to use dowels to joint some timbers than todays so-called moder fixings - and before you ask, one (and there are more) come to mind: namely oak, where the tannic acid in oak destroys steel fixings
On 18/10/2014 19:31, Woodworm wrote:

I thought the point was that BETTER DOWELS exist now. Not that non-dowel fixings should be used instead.
Mind, I am still unsure whether a twig dowel is better or worse than, say, a machine made fluted dowel. Can anyone point to a direct comparison?
--
Rod

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 7:50:13 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:

I presume they're rather stronger than softwood dowels; the hardwood twigs are tough, unlike softwood. I'm trying to think of an easy way to test them.
NT
On 18/10/2014 21:50, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

I *thought* that modern dowels were, like biscuits, commonly made from beech, birch, or maple. Or ramin. In other words, hardwood not softwood.
On 18/10/2014 21:59, newshound wrote:

I agree - though the only one I am sure of seeing is beech.
Wondering why softwood is thought to soft? I never think of yew, for example, as being soft. And the classic counter, balsa is not exactly hard. Anyway, weren't quite a number of dowels made of the self-same wood as the material they were put into?
--
Rod

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwood

On 18/10/2014 22:09, polygonum wrote:

I had a variation on this discussion with a local joiner who insisted that the pitch pine he was building our porch with was a hardwood.
I didn't try very hard to persuade him otherwise because it wasn't really important, but it did amuse me that somebody who works full time with different woods didn't know the difference.
On 18/10/2014 22:36, Clive George wrote:

Pitch pine is a hardwood in all but name. I ran a piece through the saw the other day and the turpentine smell was overpowering. It's at least 150 years old.
On 19/10/2014 10:30, stuart noble wrote:

Balsa is a hardwood too, really.
On 19/10/2014 14:12, Dennis@home wrote:

Umm, what didn't you get about my mention of it upthread?
--
Rod

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:59:22 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

I seldom use dowels, but when I have they've often been pine - and equally often something tougher, I guess a hardwood.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

It would have been both the heating and the alcohol I imagine.
But they wouldn't have been drunk.
The beer drunk as a general drink was 'small ale', and had a low alcohol content (I forget how much they think it was, but IIRC it was very low).
They brewed different beers for getting drunk.
--
Chris French

wrote

There isnt any heating involved with beer that will kill any 'germs' and the alcohol doesn't do that either.

Yep.

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:21:55 AM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

So what made it safer?
NT
On 19/10/2014 12:34, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

The heating that rod doesn't know about.
wrote

There is no heating of the bulk of the water used in making beer in summer.
In spades in hot climates like India.
On 19/10/2014 21:37, Rod Speed wrote:

You may then want to avoid Indian beer in Indian restaurants - unless it is brewed correctly in Kent under licence.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk