DECT phones -- decent brand?

Most of them seem to be like that - crazy isn't it! I suppose the designers imagine each handset staying in one place so, for example, teenage daughter can have here phonebook on her phone while parents can have a different phonebook. I still think all being the same phonebook would suit more people.

Reply to
tinnews

I am pleased to read this as I now know I'm not the only one - Binatone, Philips etc Where can I get one of these Siemens phones please, I don't remember seeing them Thanks Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote on Dec 29, 2011:

With my (quite old) Philips phones you can do it either way. You specify 'private' or 'shared' for each entry.

Reply to
Mike Lane

I've had good service from this place (few years ago):

PeterC

mike spake thus:

I'm disappointed with the Motorola I bought earlier this year. Poor sound quality (a constant hiss in the background), slow menus, a poxy 12 character limit on address book entries (Charles Smith? Sorry, too long!) and unpleasant rubbery keypad.

Reply to
Scion

Also got the Panny set. Excellant.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for all the replies, including the links to the Which? review and the e-tailer.

With only one negative review of Siemens and a lot of positives, I think I'll choose one of their sets.

Reply to
mike

In article , mike writes

2 extra tips:

Consider getting a 4 phone set instead of a 3 so you have a spare in case of failure, usually cheaper to buy as a set than to buy a single replacement later.

If you have decent broadband and fancy an extra line at some point or access to some low cost call providers then consider buying the Gigaset IP range which give access to VOIP telephony over broadband as well as landline.

Reply to
fred

I've been looking into this as my cheapo BT cordless phones are failing, mainly with bad contacts for charging.

I've seen a suggestion that the Gigaset IP phones don't work with Skype. I'm not clear what alternatives one can use in the same way.

Also, I'm not clear if the IP functionality resides in the base station, and one can use any Gigaset client to get VoIP. Or do all the phones have to be IP-able?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I take it you mean SIP? That is certainly one VoIP system, but there are others, including Skype, and I imagine Skype is more widely used than all the others put together. It would be perfectly possible for Siemens/Gigaset to implement Skype, as far as I can see. I have a Skype-able phone, and it has never struck me as illegal in any way.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Where did I say anything about illegal? It's just that nearly all of the other VOIP providers interwork without problems and Skype is different and doesn't interwork with them.

I think you'd be surprised how many business and office phones are now actually (standard, non-proprietary) VOIP phones. Skype may be in front for private/personal use but it's nowhere in the commercial world.

Reply to
tinnews

When you say "standard" do you mean SIP? If so, it would be simpler if you said that. If not, what exactly is the standard?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy