DECT phones

I have a BT 2000 dect phone with one extension. I could do with a couple more remote handsets off the one base unit. Am I right in thinking that other makes or models should be compatible or do I need to stick with BT? Are 2100 or 2200 likely to be compatible?

Reply to
newshound

Other makes/models will will compatible with the basic functionality such as answering or making a phone call. Where they may/will not be compatible is in base station to handset communication for functions such as auto setting/syncing of the clock, displaying a common phone book, reporting that you have an answer-phone message etc.

Reply to
alan_m

DECT phones are theoretically all inter operable and compatible but if they deviate from the standard you can get some intercom functions that don't work. I have a mix of Panasonic and old BT handsets on mine.

You may need to RTFM to bind the other handsets to the existing base station but I don't recall it being particularly difficult. Slight advantage in having ones with the same charge docking station if you can so that the most heavily used phone gets swapped around.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Most phones are compatible with the Generic Access Profile (GAP) (ETSI standard EN 300 444) and will have basic interoperability so they can make and receive calls. What may not (usually won't) work are functions like access to an address book stored in the base station, intercom and access to the answering machine (if any) in the base station.

Even within a single manufacturers range there may be little advanced interoperability between different models/ranges.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Consider that additional handsets for a specific phone can be difficult to source at a sensible price. Sometimes it's more cost effective to ditch the old dual handset system in favour of a new triple or quad handset deal.

Reply to
alan_m

Exactly. I have a Panasonic base and two handsets, and a Philips handset. It will receive and make calls, but that's about it. And I can't now set the time locally, and it doesn't sync. with the base!

Reply to
Davey

This is a question I was going to ask. I have a telephone with one cordless unit, its falling to bits basically, and what I wondered was, how can one tell if the systems are compatible with each other. Seems a bit annoying if I'd need yet another base station to replace the cordless part of the phone. Its actually a German phone. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If base station and handset both say they are "GAP compatible" then basic features should work, but compatibility of fancier features, such as phone book syncing or answering machine operation, is probably a lottery, syncing shouldn't be an issue if you just have one handset.

If you have Siemens base-station, then Gigaset are now the spun-off DECT arm of Siemens.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Brian Gaff laid this down on his screen :

If it says DECT on it, or in its instructions, it should be workable with another DECT phone and one base should be usable as a base. However each type / make / model of phone may need its own charger base.

Simple answer for full all feature functionality, is to buy a complete new multi-handset package and drop the old off at a charity shop. I bought a full set of 4x BT8500, with the built in nuisance caller filter for

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Short answer - you can't. The compatibility with DECT may be just limited to making and receiving calls. Any other functionality is likely to be bespoke to the manufacturer. If the phone is just branded with a badge phones with the brand may not be compatible with each other.

Seems a bit annoying if

As I mentioned before, its often cheaper to buy a new base with 2 or 3 phones than to source just one a new handset.

Reply to
alan_m

Gigaset have a compatibility checker for their various features:

Theo

Reply to
Theo