Deck: bearers or joists

Well, arse, due to writing down the wrong order number I now have parts for a large deck but instead of 80x80 bearers I've got 47 x 150 joists.

arse arse arse

My options seem to be either to try and put the deck together with the joists or to get bearers in (with the extra cost) and have a load of spare joists...

This is a ground level deck.

What should I do?

ROSIE

Reply to
Rosie

It happens Sir, it happens. Try here for some advice:

BigWallop

Rosie wrote

Using the 150 deep joists will, I guess, make the deck 70mm higher than you intended. If this is OK then I would use the joists. They are only 10% more volume of timber than the bearers but can carry more than twice the load over the same span.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Rip the joists down to the size you want, and use preservative.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

2x6 is stronger than 3x3. Will the woodyard not return and replace if you pay them a bit for doing so?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton