Decent toaster?

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:14:42 GMT The Medway Handyman wrote :

Back in the UK I bought a mid price Tefal. Only toasted half a standard slice - needed to turn it over and toast the other half. But it looked nice and no doubt some designer is really proud of his work.
--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:04:43 +1000, Tony Bryer wrote:

Ours is like that (not Tefal - I don't remember the brand). Plus everything apart from the last 5% of the dial is useless for making toast. Worse still there's no separate cancel button - cancel is done* by turning the dial all the way back to 0 (frustrating when you've just got the dial set to the exact position that you want it!)
* I've taken to just yanking the cable out of the wall now, which works nicely :-)
(Although I've never found a toaster / grill that can do toast as nicely as that done over an open fire or - at a push - held over one of the burners/rings on top of the cooker, though)

Not a designer - but a Stylist.
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Not going to help much since the model range has been revamped (and reviews on the new ones don't seem that good), but the current 4 slice Tefal Avanti we have at the mo has been in service now for a number of years without too much irritation. Toasts well enough and consistently. The slots auto adjust in width and will take up to about 3/4 bagel thickness each. The only crap bit was the extra lifters - it has a second set of sliding knobs that are supposed to lift the carriage higher than normal to make retrieving shorting things like buns or muffins (English style!) simpler - but that seemed to fail after not that long.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

THat mechanism was the demise of ours. Otherwise, it was a good toaster.
I've replaced it with a four slice Kenwood which works .....slowly and the additional lift for small items is a PITA. I'm continually using a sharp knife to carefully remove small items.

I also have a Tefal - not too bad - but slot size is a bit limited. However, I have found that sometimes after giving it a good shake to get rid of crumbs the lifter thing won't stay down to engage the element. Crumbs get on the pole piece of the magnet. I have become deft at taking it apart to remove the offending crumb.
I hope this helps if anyone else has the same problem.
Remember the days when a manufacturer would be interested and would take steps to improve things..................?
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Doesn't your cooker have a grill?
Owain

We have a grill, but the toaster is quicker (certainly for the first round anyway) and I'm endlessly burning things under the grill.
--
Chris French

On 11 Apr,

I solved that problem by using the timer. Works well apart from the odd occasion I forget to set it.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

My parents' Morphy-Richards model TU1D (chrome steel version) is doing very well, although only 2 slots. I think you'll struggle to find anywhere with stock though, as it was last manufactured in 1965, although theirs was bought nearer 1955. I have had to repair it a couple of times, but one of those was due to someone sticking a knife into it.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I think my mum's got one of those as well.
Owain

Never bother with a toaster and always use the grill. Toasts to whatever shade you like including flaming

Not sure about the energy efficiency of trying to drive heat downward though. A toaster does bring the heat source close to the target.

My problem is the rather to frequent achieving of the 'flaming' shade ....
--
Chris French

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'm not sure how seriously people take Which? reports, but and and the 4 slice toasters didn't come out as well as 2 slice. Of the 4 slice Breville TT33 and Cuisinart 400U best buys. 2 slice Krups Toast expert FEM 231 came top.
Rob

For all of my childhood, toast was produced on a device like this. It never went wrong.
http://www.force4.co.uk/643/Force-4-Gas-Ring-Toaster.html
Colin Bignell
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:14:42 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

6 minutes ??????
-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

And can any of these toasters produce repeatable results between burn 1 and burn n ?

On our Dualit, burn 1 takes a little longer than burn 2-N. When making toast in relays, it's easy to adjust for (since the setting is a clockwork device where you rotate to the appropriate time, then let it tick back to zero).
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Recent purchase of a standard Russel Hobbs 2 slice from Argos has proven surprisingly fruitful.
Think it was this one (looks about right, right price):
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4223924/c_1/1 |cat_12108409 Toasters|12108580/Trail/searchtext>TOASTER.htm
Not mega fast, but repeatable results, simple, no 25-leds or blue back lit plastic bollocks - and really does take a decent sized slice of bread.
I would say it's pretty much as good as the Dualit Lite it replaced, which was stupidly expensive (but not as stupid as a "real" Dualit) and when push came to shove, you can't replace the element on a Dualit Lite, which given the brand and the price was a pretty poor show...
Cheers Tim