Decent toaster?

I also have a Tefal - not too bad - but slot size is a bit limited. However, I have found that sometimes after giving it a good shake to get rid of crumbs the lifter thing won't stay down to engage the element. Crumbs get on the pole piece of the magnet. I have become deft at taking it apart to remove the offending crumb.

I hope this helps if anyone else has the same problem.

Remember the days when a manufacturer would be interested and would take steps to improve things..................?

Reply to
John

Not a designer - but a Stylist.

Reply to
John

Not sure about the energy efficiency of trying to drive heat downward though. A toaster does bring the heat source close to the target.

Reply to
John

I'm not sure how seriously people take Which? reports, but and and the 4 slice toasters didn't come out as well as 2 slice. Of the 4 slice Breville TT33 and Cuisinart 400U best buys. 2 slice Krups Toast expert FEM 231 came top.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

We have a grill, but the toaster is quicker (certainly for the first round anyway) and I'm endlessly burning things under the grill.

Reply to
chris French

In message , R writes

My problem is the rather to frequent achieving of the 'flaming' shade ....

Reply to
chris French

We had two big Dualits at school. I think we only had two for redundancy

- one of them always seemed to be away for repair. Those of us who'd been on Cadet camps kept agitating for one of the big conveyor-belt types found in Army cookhouses - also no chance of the still-soft bread in one slot being mangled when the owner of the finished toast in another pounded his fist on the lever to launch it directly onto his plate.

Then again, a normal consumer cheapy probably wouldn't have lasted a day :-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

In message , Bob Eager writes

Co-incidentally, the time setting for toast is the same as that needed for soft poaching an egg. (first round only).

You can also do toasted sandwiches. Just close your eyes and buy one.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think my mum's got one of those as well.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

For all of my childhood, toast was produced on a device like this. It never went wrong.

Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Oh, and the OP wanted it to be quick. It'll do 130 slices an hour (the 4 slice version).

Reply to
Bob Eager

6 minutes ??????

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

And can any of these toasters produce repeatable results between burn 1 and burn n ?

Reply to
brass monkey

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Recent purchase of a standard Russel Hobbs 2 slice from Argos has proven surprisingly fruitful.

Think it was this one (looks about right, right price):

|cat_12108409Toasters|12108580/Trail/searchtext>TOASTER.htmNot mega fast, but repeatable results, simple, no 25-leds or blue back lit plastic bollocks - and really does take a decent sized slice of bread.

I would say it's pretty much as good as the Dualit Lite it replaced, which was stupidly expensive (but not as stupid as a "real" Dualit) and when push came to shove, you can't replace the element on a Dualit Lite, which given the brand and the price was a pretty poor show...

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim S

On our Dualit, burn 1 takes a little longer than burn 2-N. When making toast in relays, it's easy to adjust for (since the setting is a clockwork device where you rotate to the appropriate time, then let it tick back to zero).

Reply to
Bob Eager

We've got one of those - useless !!!

OK for the first year but now sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Load toast - press down - sometimes it stays down and toasts, sometimes it just springs back up. Get there in the end by keep on pressing down but am looking at another toaster.

Seriously considering a Dualit after reading this thread.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton coughed up some electrons that declared:

Oh bum.

Well, have to see what happens to mine then.

In this age of supercomputers, carbon fibre, fancy ceramics and super mega engineering, why can't anyone make a basic toaster that works for a reasonable price?

30 years ago they were no worse than now performance wise, seemed to last longer and a roll of nichrome wire from the local electrical shop would sort out a fused element.
Reply to
Tim S

So, instead of watching the grill, I could insert 2 slices and press go, then 2 more and press go, then another 1 and press go - and get 5 decent slices of toast without thinking? Otherwise, i'll watch the grill ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

Really the Dualit is a basic toaster. It's not pop-up, the 'browning' control is an electromechanical timer, there's a real switch to select the slots you want to use, and a proper neon lamp to show that the thing's operating. I'm not sure whether or not most toasters now use a sheathed element as does the Dualit - this prevents crumbs from landing on the nichrome wire and causing hot spots which lead to early failure of the element.

The 'non pop-up' bit is useful if you like your toast warm and you're doing multiple slices. Because the slices stay inside the machine they're less inclined to cool off whilst you're scoffing the first one :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ahem ^^^^^

I don't disagree the Dualit "hotel version" is probably very good. They muddied their name with the "Lite" AFAIAC though.

Reply to
Tim S