Decaying wood screw-hole

My house has old-fashioned shutters, with a bar that comes over to hold them closed. The bar is affixed by a single screw, but the hole is starting to deteriorate. I replaced the screw, but it doesn't bite well and keeps coming out.

Is there something I can put in the hole to refresh it? Ideally, I'd like something that meant I could still get the screw in and out although I guess this is not essential.

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
psaffrey

You just need to get something in the hole to make it a tighter fit. This can be a small rawlplug (cut to length if necessary), or a couple of matchsticks, or use a fatter screw if the fitting permits, or just fill the hole with car body filler, pilot drill a new 3mm hole and put the screw back. Whatever is to hand really.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've used wood filler for this. It sets harder than wood, and can be drilled and screwed.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

CAR BODY FILLER

If the wood is crumbly around it, either drill scrape back to good wood, ore inject with thin superglue to stablise the fibres, then whack in the car body filler, drill and re screw.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't say wether this screw is affixed to the wall or the shutters framework? Or do you mean a small hook&latch? Anyway get a piece of 1/4 dowling drill the bad hoke with a 1/4 drill bit,put glue on the dowling and shove it in the drilled hole and trim to size?then let it set befor screwing the screw back in.

Reply to
George

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" writes

The worn, or now oversized hole, is in wood? My usual remedy is to stuff the hole full of small pieces of wood (matchsticks, cocktail sticks) soaked in white glue (PVA), then replace the screw after the glue has dried. 24 hours should be fine. Doesn't matter if the new wood protrudes from the hole initially - just trim to size when the glue is dry.

Reply to
Graeme

I don't have the original post on my screen, so apologies for answering via this post.

As this problem is going to crop up in the future, have you considered using a frame fixer type screw. Open up the hole in the wood and pass the frame fixer sleeve through it, minus the screw and cut it to length. Put the frame fixer through the wood and screw the screw into (I assume) the brick/wall in a previously prepared hole until the screw bite hard and the wood can still move. This will put all the strain on the bit of plastic instead of the wood. Next time the hole deteriates, you just have to replace the plastic that passes through the wood.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

A forest of useful suggestions - thanks to all. I'll have a think about which one is most appropriate.

I have a similar problem on my front door - the hinges are getting a bit loose due to the wood of the door frame giving up. Is the car body filler solution (for example) suitable for this rather heavier application?

Peter

Reply to
psaffrey

Sure it is, but longer screws may be a simpler solution on a door frame

Reply to
Stuart Noble