De scaling kettle

I eat lots of sticky buns too. I have a freezerful of 4-for-30p chelsea buns from Tesco's reduced cabinet.

Four chelsea buns is quite a substantial, albeit not very nutritious, lunch :-)

I couldn't afford to keep a dog, though. It would cost more than me to feed (and would eat a lot better).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I always us DS3 on ours. Fill it right up, boil and allow to cool a bit.

*slowly* sprinkle in a desert spoon full of the DS3. Allow to fizz for 5 mins or so. Then bring back to the boil once or twice. If the kettle is badly scaled then leave for 20 mins. Tip out fernox, rinse, fill and boil, and discard. Ready for use. Never noticed any smell or tainted taste from the kettle. Done it with previous glass jug kettle and current stainless one.
Reply to
John Rumm

Also worth mentioning that a full tub of DS3 will descale a kettle probably 250 times. Which works out at 6p a go.

Reply to
John Rumm

And if you live in a hard water area, means you get a cup full of the scale dregs every time! (the kettles with the built in mesh filter that catches some of the crud are worth having IME)

Reply to
John Rumm

LOL!, That is a whole different mental picture... Sounded like the kitchen was being used as the canine equivalent of a cold shower!

Reply to
John Rumm

You can't get near the "reduced" shelves in any of the Perth supermarkets, for Poles. They seem to have coordinated their efforts...

Yes, the big fella's food is expensive, because of his allergies - that cause the moulting... The new pup isn't costing much at present, but that will change, no doubt - but she's cute, so is worth it... ;-)

This is the pup, see what you think:

Anne Welsh Jackson

Are you trying to prove you are really stupid?

Reply to
dennis

I think you are just a rabid glue addict who will lie about anything to justify your harm to others. You are typical of people with glue abuse problems and will stop at nothing to get your fix.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They don't have to be soluble, they just have to not be firmly attached to the kettle!

You just get a lot of milky water...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh..it is. In theory. If the train is full and doesn;t have to stop often.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So you manage to eat on £1.20 a day?

And you are a whole family?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I don't agree. Also think about the amounts involved.

The mw's of oxalic acid and calcium carbonate are similar at 90 and 100, and both are dibasic, so 1gm of pure oxalic will dissolve (or "milkify") 1gm of scale.

Rhubarb leaves contains 0.5% oxalic acid (apparently) so you need at least twenty times the weight of rhubarb to dissolve the scale.

Reply to
Reentrant

I have elbows and I know how to use them.

growing to do.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not every day, admittedly.

I am a family of one.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What did you do with the rest of them? Were they tasty?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Indeed. Not a lot of scale and plenty of rhubarb works a treat!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
PeterC

As Jeremy Clarkson might say on daytime tv - the dead ones are more compliant - and such a cheap way to fill the freezer.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Indeed. Rhubarb (or Barkeeper's Friend) is an excellent cleaner for metals generally, but it won't shift water scale. For something with a heating element like a kettle, I'd actually be concerned about damage to the element being appreciably rapid compared to its limescale shifting!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I wonder if there is a link between smoking and brain cancer?

Reply to
dennis