De scaling kettle

Dangerous stuff IIRC. Something to do with the shape of the crystals

Reply to
Stuart Noble

An acid will only remove scale if the calcium and magnesium salts are readily soluble. The sulphates aren't so that's why you don't descale with sulphuric acid. The oxalates aren't soluble either so I can't see how rhubarb would help. (Calcium oxalate = kidney stone).

Reply to
Reentrant

We're being led to believe that all businesses run on borrowed money.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you eat enough yes, but you would need to need to eat a lot to kill you.

Butt he little bit of oxalic acid left after emptying wouldn't be a problem

Reply to
chris French

Pointless in terms of having a significant effect on global warming. We can do *much* more by using cars less, not flying everywhere and things like that.

While the powers that be wimble on about turning off devices on standby we still have the madness of it costing orders of magnitude more to travel to (say) the south of France by train than it does to fly there. Changing taxation/subsidies on flying versus rail would do far more than any of these kettle/standby/CFL things we're talking about here.

Reply to
tinnews

And we can do more still by not having babies. But on-one wants to talk about that.

Doubtful. High speed rail isn't significantly more efficient than flying.

Reply to
Huge

I wouldn't use DS-3 to descale a kettle. The smell will be with you forever and it taints the water. Been there, done that, thrown away the kettle.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I hope you meant to write "moults" but maybe you didn't ... I had a dog like that once ;-)

Amuses me, the radio ads saying the average Scottish family wastes £410 on throwing out perfectly good food every year.

I don't spend that on food in a year.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There is a reason for that.. trains use more energy and you have to pay for it.

Modern planes are nowhere near as inefficient as you are lead to believe. Especially after you factor in all the energy used to maintain the tracks, stations, etc.

You want even more train subsidies? Planes aren't subsidised.

We still allow ocean liners and they are far worse than any plane.

Reply to
dennis

Really? Thin bloke, are you? :-)

(or does somebody else feed you?)

Reply to
Clive George

Sorry! That should have been "moults"!

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

Of course it was! My brain goes to sleep at midnight... (that's my excuse, anyhow!)

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

Mine doesn't! We've never even used the overdraft facility that the (Clydesdale) bank insisted we would need!

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

Heaven be praised! A man with a brain! ;-))

You spend less than £1.05 a day on food? How do you survive?

I spend about £125 a month on food, for two adults and two dogs. It would be less, if we didn't eat so many biscuits and sticky buns!

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

I spend that much a week.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

I didn't think that glue was that expensive

Reply to
geoff

Dennis is an addict Geoff. As soon as he gets a low he needs a fix.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember David saying something like:

Well, you could sit and chant at it or send groovy peace de-scaley thought waves.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Anne Welsh Jackson saying something like:

You spoil that dog, Doris.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes :-) I'm also expert in cobbling together meals from the out-of-date cabinet in Tesco.

Sadly, no.

Owain

Reply to
Owain