De scaling kettle

Hello,

We live in a very hard water area and the kettle scales up very very quickly, I have always used de scaler tablets or powder to de scale the kettle however I was wondering if there was another way of doing it as the price of de scaler is working out to be quite expensive.

I have Googled it and most people suggest vinegar, bicarbonate of soda or lemon juice, somehow I don't have any faith in those things.

Reply to
David

We find running the water through a Brita water filter before putting it in the kettle works. The Brita filters have an ion exchange resin which removes the hardness.

Reply to
Jim

Citric acid was 69p for 150 gms last time I looked. A tablespoon should be plenty

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks for the replies Jim and Stuart, I'll give the citric acid a whirl

Reply to
David

B&Q does a liquid descaler called Kilrock-K at about two quid which is brilliant.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

In message , David writes

Anything acidic will work. So vinegar will work, but it needs rinsing well afterwards, and it will need leaving for a while as it's not that strong an acid. Ditto lemon juice I guess. Bicarb won't work.

Buying some citric acid powder from a chemist, or hardware shop is probably cheapest

Reply to
chris French

So long as you use it in time. Citric acid won't shift really thick scale once it's built up - then you're back to the sulphamic and the formic.

Personally I didn't mind thick scale so much, as it stayed where it was and I could descale it from time to time. The stuff that really annoyed was thin scale that was brittle enough to flake off the element end up in my tea.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Vinegar works a treat - a 50/50 mix with water is usually sufficient, just bung in enough to cover the element plus a bit more for luck, then pop the kettle on. You might have to turn it off just before the boil to prevent foaming. You can vary the mix if you have a lot of scale to remove - even use neat vinegar.

I've always used it in my kettles and dishwashers - never been tempted to try anything harsher.

Regards.

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Under the NuLabr rule of terror, asking for citric acid sees one branded as a drug dealer.

The correct acid to use for descaling is sulphamic acid. This has the advantage that it's impossible to make a strong solution of sulphamic acid because it's not very soluble.

You can buy it here:

for £14 a Kg, and a kilo will last a good long time.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You may be able to get it in bulk from a homebrew supplier or commercial coffee supplier.

Reply to
Jim

Where can you buy it Stuart?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

+1 for a Brita filter and don't leave your kettle standing with water in it.
Reply to
Lino expert

Should it be sitting down than?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I get ours from the local vegetarian food shop - strangely named "Veggie Perrin's"!

Reply to
Bob Eager

We always use Waitrose descaler and find that it works perfectly well. You can also slow the build up of scale if you empty he kettle fully after each use.

David - Milton Keynes

Reply to
David Klyne

Local chemist has it, and so do any of the big supermarket pharmacies. I was asked in Sainsburys what I wanted it for, and I said for drug refining. She said I didn't look the type and handed it over. Silly business

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I went into 3 pharmacies last week to buy some isopropyl alcohol, got the same response in each. Oh no we don't keep anything like that anymore and we would not be allowed to sell it anyway thank god for the internet,I bought 5 litres just in case it gets banned completely.

-
Reply to
Mark

I used the de scaler from Aldi and it works a treat, so does the cheap one pound one you get in Asda named Keep it handy. I was just wondering if there was an alternative to using chemicals.

Reply to
David

Get a tub of Fernox DS3 - costs about £15 but will make over 100 gallons of descaler (literally). Works fast (best in hot water).

Reply to
John Rumm

Cheapest place is usually your local Indian food shop. Last I bought was about £3 a Kilo.

Reply to
Peter Parry