De-ionised water

I am seeking a way of filteringwater to de-ionise it for rinsing the car when washing , looking for a low cost option (which rules out the flashcar wash system) Any ideas?

Reply to
Avanti

| I am seeking a way of filteringwater to de-ionise it for rinsing the car | when washing , looking for a low cost option (which rules out the flashcar | wash system)

Slight problem with that :-( How do you deionise rain?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Why, may I ask?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

At this time of year your newly washed car will be covered in salt, mud and shit in around 5 minutes so why bother?

Reply to
Matt

Unless you live in a hard water area, just use tap water. It's entirely suitable for this rinsing.

DI water is less common these days as most lab "pure water" machines are RO (reverse osmosis instead). If you look on the chem lab surplus market then you'll find plenty of such machines around. They're generally a giveaway price, but replacement columns would be unaffordable if you ever used enough to need replacing them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Just hose it down and dry with a chamois. You won't get any streaking then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Look on ebay at pole fed window cleaning systems. They use a filtration system that will do exactly what you want. Secondhand they aren't too expensive.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Perhaps you could use a dehumidifier. That way once the car is clean you can put it back in the garage and switch on the machine to dry off the car while it produces some nice water for next time.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

That is what I usually do, but now it'sgetting cold thought I would just rinse, I have used Turtlewax rinse magic but it must be old stock from the pound shop as I cannot see it listed anywhere, it does work well though....

Reply to
Avanti

Although it doesn't do anything to the minerals in the water, a quick squirt of some dishwasher rinse-aid into the final rinse will help the water fall off the car and so reduce the number of drying marks.

Not perfect by any means, but it's cheap and easy - and given my laziness more effective than a chamois.

Reply to
Mark

I wouldnt bother either. But if you still want to, and have no dehumidifier or a/c, a simple solution is a solar still. They costa few pounds if that, can be made in no time, and will slowly distill any water you put in them, including rain, mud, anything.

A solar still is little more than a frame and a sheet of polythene.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Water Butt and collect rain water. That's what I use for the car, with a pressure washer to pump it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Again, why? Unless you're trying to save a few pails of water, why not use tap water?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I have to pay for tap water, and I've got a large barrel of free water outside.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel