DC adapters

My son has recently bought a Fuji Digital camera (which he is very pleased with) - and is wanting to know whether an existing 3v adapter he has for a Sony disk system would be compatible with it.

The Sony adapter output socket is correct size (I realise I need to check the polarities are the same).

But I still have a number of questions: I would assume that both of these devices will require a regulated output - is there anyway of telling?

Assuming that voltage outputs are the same, both are regulated, and polarities are correct, then there will be no harm in trying the Sony with the Fuji.

I would have thought that this question must be a common one - but I can't find answers via Google. Can anyone answer the specifics or point me to a good source?

TIA

Reply to
Judith

Are we talking a two pin round barrel type connector here?

Not without finding the specs for each.

And of a round type plug connector and it fits, I'd say no (low risk).

Only finding the specs for each ... replacement PSU's for each on eBay (and compare the specs)?

I wouldn't think there was one single source for the answer and you have already covered all the important bits.

The only bit you haven't specifically covered is the power / current output of the PSU's or the requirements of the cameras. Any replacement / substitute PSU ideally wants to be at least the power of the original.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

it all depends on the details of the 2 power units. Voltage, current, dc or ac (they're nearly all dc), polarity all matter.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

BIG assumptions.

I wouldn't risk it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes indeed. I've actually never seen a camera that ran on a supply, some can charge up batteries, but not actually run the camera. I'm way out of touch however since its been some years since I've had enough sight to use a camera.

Chargers often have internal circuits to check the charged voltage so one needs to be sure what you are dealing with, battery wise. I see most devices these days are going usb charging systems and psus, and this at least seems to mean some standard has been agreed.

Also depending on the load some of the cheaper switch mode, very lightweight, psus can have issues with some devices. Recently attempted to fit an apparently suitably rated 13.5 adaptor on a scanning radio and the whole band was full of crap. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd be very wary about using anything for a Sony on any other manufactures equipment. Sony seem to have a habit about doing things in a unique way.

In this case its an adapter and not the main equipment so you need to establish if the Sony adapter output is AC or DC and the voltage and current that it can supply, All this information should be stated on the label stuck to the adapter.

You then need to look at the specification for the camera to see if it's power requirements match those of the Sony adapter.

Reply to
alan_m

The first thing to do is to post the exact full details of the three devices (camera, disk, charger), as shown on their information plates and/or in applicable manuals - and, as a very minimum, the exact identifications of the devices.

Previously, search for information on the charger that Fuji supply or recommend for the camera.

And, before that, teach him to find out for himself (assuming that he can read and write).

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

You could observe the change in voltage under load (which requires a bit of a messy lash up with additional wires) but the chances are neither is regulated.

Max current is an additional factor but those two devices probably need a similar current.

If it was me, I would check polarity and voltage and then just take the risk and try it.

Reply to
Pamela

Mildly funny. Are you saying that people who don't know all the technicalities (and I include myself in that category) cannot ask for help on this group?

Reply to
Scott

A. Buy a genuine PSU £20-30

B. Buy an equivalent designed for the camera £5 +

C. Try the one you already have.

One option would present no problems warranty wise.

The other two are slightly and very risky.

Does your son feel lucky :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Would this be any better :-

(The £59 mains adaptor)

Reply to
Andrew

Why doesn't he buy an original or compatible adapter? The one for mine (AC-3VX for the Fuji A500) seems to be available from various suppliers for around £15.

Reply to
Max Demian

Why? Cameras bought new are normally supplied with a suitable charger. If you want sensible advice, you'll need to mention which model of Fuji digital camera he's bought himself and whether it was new or acquired as a second hand item sans charger.

There are so many possible scenarios to choose from in the absence of the exact identity of the camera in question that it's impossible to offer succinct and meaningful advice in this matter.

I see that others have already jumped the gun offering generalised advice most of which won't apply and will probably just leave you more confused than before. Most of, if not all of this well meaning advice won't in itself be plain wrong or inaccurate, just simply inapplicable to your specific case.

If you can discover which model of camera your son has bought himself (and why he's so attracted to the Sony 3v adapter) and let the group know, you'll stand a much better chance of getting a meaningful answer to your question.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

True, but I think it's an optional adapter, not a charger for the internal batteries. My Fuji A500 has a socket for an adapter - not sure why anyone would use it with an adapter. (It's quite a neat little camera but I don't use it any more as the energy management doesn't work any more - AA NiMH batteries become exhausted almost immediately.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Not familiar with that camera but I have an adaptor for my Panasonic camera that comprises a Dummy battery which is fed by a cable that plugs into the socket of the charger normally used to charge the camera battery,which is done external to the camera. The reason I got it was to take long sequences of time lapse photos using a timer attachment which is also a remote control. The normal battery would not last for the week or more I had the set up in position.

GH

Reply to
Marland