Dating Velux windows

Hi all I'm trying to work out roughly how old a couple of Velux windows in our house are. I've looked at the labels, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious date code embedded in the serial numbers.

I know that I can ask Velux, but they're closed till Tuesday and I'm curious now ;-)

FWIW, the VELTERM stamp inside the double glazed unit is 0484 and the serial number stamped on the metal plate ends in C82, so I'm guessing

1982 or 1984, but it'd be nice to know if I'm way off.

TIA

Reply to
justalittlekitten

Buy them fowers, take them out for a nice meal.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Your intentions are so transparent.

Reply to
Paul Herber

I though I'd made them clear?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Funny how you only notice the ambiguity in your subject line *after* you post, isn't it? :-)

Reply to
justalittlekitten

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com has brought this to us :

In electronics, 0484 would mean week 04, year 1984 as date of manufacture.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield was thinking very hard :

There, I knew what you meant :')

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And as the OP is talking about Velux Windows how does that help the OP

Muppet

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

I was simply pointing out that the same style of date coding applies to lots of manufactured items.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks, Harry, I was thinking along the same lines.

I've since found this site:

shows the three different types of Velux labels used in the UK. From it, I have learned that the label type on my windows was last used in April 1991. So, our 1984 theory looks possible, and I'm SOL on getting a replacement glazing unit under guarantee ;-)

To continue picking away at this, I think the "C82" bit is a red herring, as the site above shows a similar label ending in "S12". But, there's some other text down the edge of the label, reading "VL85-0583".

So, we might hypothesise that the frame was manufactured in 1983 and the glazing unit in 1984.

Absent a post of the "I used to work for Velux and this is how you read a label" variety, I'll give them a call next week and ask.

If nothing else, the date of the windows might give me an idea when the loft conversion was done...

Reply to
justalittlekitten

As promised, here is what I learned from calling Velux. The "C82" bit is irrellevant, as is the "VL85-0583" (which is apparently the serial # for the batch of plates, rather than the window).

However, the fourth character of the actual serial # was "F" which translates to 1984. Which ties in with Harry's theory about the glazing unit being made in 1984.

Which brings me to my next question. The fact that the windows were made in 1984 means that it's quite likely that the loft conversion was done around then. This, of course, puts it before the Nov 1985 cut off for regularisation.

Is this necessarily a bad thing, as various Building Control sites suggest? Or, when I come to sell, would I be OK calling it a habitable room and saying "As far as we know, it was done pre-1985. Got no paperwork on it, but it's not fallen down yet!"?

Reply to
justalittlekitten

Not necessarily - they could have been made in Dec 84 & been in stock somewhere for a year?

If questioned I would simply say "the windows were made in 84"

Reply to
The Medway Handyman