Darwin Award

Mine doesn't but it does have an O ring seal.

Sea water has a resistivity of about 0.1 Ohm/metre cubed. So if you have a surface film in the drain of cross section 1 mm2 the resistance is ~1 megaohm per metre. So that is several megaohms by the time it gets to a ground so you need to find a better path than that to account for electrocution. I doubt if bath water is more conductive than sea water.

Reply to
dennis

I pay attention to them, but I don't assume the absence of one on a visible bend is confirmation I can take it at 60 :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Must be for chasing the dragon then...

Reply to
Tim Watts

dennis@home presented the following explanation :

I very much doubt the return path was via the charger, there will have been much more effective routes.

As I said, as he also said - He was insulated! There was no path.

There will be a voltage gradient between - unless you form an alternative path, you will only feel the voltage across that gradient. The nearer your hand gets, the more it gets into the steeper voltage part of the gradient, the more effect you will feel. That explains why you could put your hand in, but not near enough to be able to pick it up.

I doubt someone dropping a mains socket in a bath, with someone in it would kill them. If however they were daft enough to put the socket near to their body, or on their body, it would be a different matter entirely - even more so if placed on their chest, near the heart.

A body's internals are very conductive, just a few thousands of Ohms, dry skin is quite a good insulator increasing measured values to mega-Ohms. I have no problems sticking a dry finger across 240v. Wet that finger (or a body in a bath) and the resistance goes down quite markedly. Nor is resistance of such things a fixed measurable value, conductivity can vary with voltage - which is why a 500v meggar is used to measure mains circuit insulation values, rather than a normal multimeter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Unlikely my arse. You are talking bollocks.

Reply to
ARW

ARW submitted this idea :

The way to prove it, assuming you have a plastic bath and I would further assume a Meggar, would be to check the insulation resistance between the metal plug plug hole and an electrical earth. Then you can report back with your apologies.

My bath is all metal, so not possible for me to do it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :

A quick thought - I also suspect there might be a 'capacitive' path to earth, from the bath water, to other parts surrounding the bath.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've used one of those for real. The ground glass stopper came out of the reaction flask and showered me with the contents, although I cannot for the life of me remember what it was I was preparing. Stepped straight in and "Whoosh!"

The really tedious thing was going home to get changed in wet clothes ...

Reply to
Huge

If sat in the bath, you only have to touch a bath tap to get a very good earth,

Reply to
harry

If it is earthed! If its modern plastic plumbing the chances of it being earth is quite low. Tap water has a resistivity about 100 times that of sea water so it wouldn't take much plastic pipe to give a few hundred thousand ohms resistance in the path.

Reply to
dennis

dennis@home laid this down on his screen :

Isn't there a requirement for them to be earthed anyway if they are metal? A 'few hundred ohms' is not nearly enough to protect you anyway.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Whoosh first, ask questions later.

Why not have stock of disposable coveralls (zipped closure rather than poppers or buttons) next to whoosh chamber?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bonded maybe, but not earthed. Although that bonding will in most cases earth them.

Reply to
ARW

I'll travel back in time and ask the lab manager. I'll get back to you.

:o)

Reply to
Huge

I got fairly hefty tingle from the aerial socket of a TV.

I had various devices connected to the TV: PC via TV aerial socket, VCR via aerial and phono audio, hifi via audio phono.

One day I unplugged the aerial lead from the PC (which was the only thing that was earthed) with one hand on the metal aerial plug and the other holding the PC case. And the jolt as the aerial plug was no longer connected to earth was very noticeable.

It took a long time with my voltmeter going round to each suspect device in turn until I found it was the TV. There was about 130 VAC between the TV's aerial socket screen and mains earth, as measured with a high-resistance volt meter. Even with about 100 kilohm resistor in parallel with the meter to simulate my body resistance (I didn't fancy a repeat shock, even for scientific purposes!) there was about 50 V - not dangerous but enough to be painful.

Trading Standards and Panasonic didn't seem at all interested and said that it was "within safety specifications".

My water pipes in my house are all copper. Even the rising main is metal - lead pipe between the house and the pipes in the street (which would be either plastic or cast iron depending on age). So even without the statutory earth strap, the taps would be well earthed and so present a nice route to earth from any mains device in the bath. The only plastic pipes I've seen were the rising main in my previous house, but everything from the stop tap onwards was standard 15 or 22 mm copper pipe. Do some modern houses have plastic pipes between rising main, bath taps, boiler, hot water cylinder etc.

Reply to
NY

NY has brought this to us :

Assuming no fault, I would agree. It is quite normal for there to be some voltage on those sockets, but the current will be absolutely minimal. The socket will be capacitively coupled to the mains.

Any unearthed metal work on a double insulated appliance will have some capacitively coupled voltage on it. The brrr you get, when lightly touching it and earth, is quite normal and not dangerous.

To suffer injury, both voltage and current flow is needed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

OK so this is what I got at 500V.

My apologies consist of my middle finger and a go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
ARW

ARW explained on 19/03/2017 :

2Megs and still falling as the insulation breaks down, possibly unused for a while so reasonably dry down there.

That rather proves what I said. I wouldn't want to be wet and connected to 240v, with less than 2Megs of dubious insulation between and earth.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It looked like you'd managed to get the megger readings down to just under two megohms. BTW, shit video (VVS). This might help you improve the quality of your next one... assuming you're not the 2nd type of perp mentioned in that excellent YouTube video. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

If he has managed to produce any progeny (even a viable embryo is quite sufficient), he or she[1] is automatically disqualified from receiving the award. Hope doesn't enter into it, meeting the full requirements for a Darwin Award precludes the existence of progeny.

Sadly, what this often means is that many such stupid deaths fail to qualify for this much vaunted award (IOW, it's a life wasted in a futile attempt to receive such honour). :-(

[1] Obviously, in this case, neither a viable embryo nor foetus is likely to suffice as a disqualifying condition.
Reply to
Johnny B Good