Darwin Award

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 10:30:11 +0000, Huge wrote:

If he has managed to produce any progeny (even a viable embryo is quite sufficient), he or she[1] is automatically disqualified from receiving the award. Hope doesn't enter into it, meeting the full requirements for a Darwin Award precludes the existence of progeny.
Sadly, what this often means is that many such stupid deaths fail to qualify for this much vaunted award (IOW, it's a life wasted in a futile attempt to receive such honour). :-(
[1] Obviously, in this case, neither a viable embryo nor foetus is likely to suffice as a disqualifying condition.
--
Johnny B Good

writes

The warnings to attach chest of drawers to the wall didn't save IKEA when kids ended up dead that way.

He had the "extention cord from the hall" (a trailling socket?) resting on his chest. HTF is the Apple charger implicated?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On 17/03/2017 18:17, Graham. wrote:

Same logic as exactly halfway through this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLvS_w9gy8g

--
Adam

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:40:43 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

There's a reason you don't find power points in bathrooms. It just sounds like this bloke was begging for trouble and I cannot see how you can prevent idiocy of this magnitude.
And this magnitude: "The underlying message is, although someone can argue that the cable that's going into your phone is 5V, that's the point where you're taking too much risk."
WTF is that supposed to mean??
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:34:59 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

That sounds like something Chris Morris might have pursuaded some gullable/greedy celebraty to say.
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:51:17 +0000, Caecilius wrote:

They must read this group cos they've edited that portion of text to make more sense now.
On 17/03/2017 18:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Undoubtedly true but I've just come back from France and couldn't help noticing they have power points in all their bathrooms, as do other countries I've visited. Do they have a special safe form of electricity, or simply fewer idiots? Either seems unlikely, so maybe they just accept Darwin. It would be interesting to now what the fatality rate from these causes is in such countries.
It just sounds

On Friday, 17 March 2017 19:50:01 UTC, GMM wrote:

I've heard they don't earth the pipes in barthrooms in france so it's not a problem as deaths are caused when the curent goes through the water to earth.

probbly on wiki somewhere.

In the days before plastic plumbing became common, our pipes are normally earthed and we have power points in the bathroom and no electrocutions.

On Monday, 20 March 2017 19:21:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Provided they have a RCD and are more than 2 metres away from water IIRC.

Not when mine were done and not now either.

That is just plain wrong. All of mine are closer than that.

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 16:26:25 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Maybe yuo should check the what the regualtions are NOW. I suppose you don't have zones either or IP specifications.

No need, still not required NOW.

Nope, not in bathrooms, we arent that stupid.

Just got back from Spain. Hotel bathroom had a power outlet very close to the hand basin (for electric shaver?) - but more interestingly, a network socket beside the WC.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Same here, but at least it smells nice.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1t3f95um2s7rzj/IMG_6817.JPG?dl=0
Yes, the hand dryer is plugged into that socket.
Taken by me last December.

:)
--
(\_/)
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message

The outcome prevents idiocy of this magnitude being repeated by the same idiot. Very efficient.

On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:

Yup, a priime canddate. It's simply a 21st century variant of Darwin's natural selection. Jolly sad for the family but good for the global gene pool.
I bought a new car recently and 2 weeks later am still wading through the handbook, more than 50% of which is made up of dire warnings that would have been laughable 30 years ago.
As I age there an increasing number of things that make me despair and we need to fight back against this creeping PC crap. This guy was dumb and paid the penalty. End of story.
On 17/03/17 19:26, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

It's getting like road signs... There are so many of them, 1) you get fazed and fail to notice the important ones; 2) You stop thinking for yourself.
My IAM (advance driving) observer asked me why I was slowing down on bends last week. His argument was: if the bend is bad, it would have a sign. Personally, I regard a sign as a bonus and the absence of which does not mean the route does not need one. But he was a decent bloke so I didn't want to argue. But if I get him again, I might...
Same with these stupid "Do not use this angle grinder wire brush attachment to clean the cheese off your helmet" bollocks. People now expect the warnings and if one is not there, they assume it must be OK to do it.
I don't even think half the warnings are even designed by the experts. Why does every bloody bathroom fan and central heating component come with a "must be fused at 3A"??? I bet most would be fine with a 6A Type B MCB that is the most common on a domestic lighting circuit - and if not, build a suitable fuse into the sodding unit!
I rang Myson the other day - "your Lo-Line fan coil heater (wet coil): what is the power consumption of the fan?"
"I don't know: it's hard to say how much it would cost to run, it depends on how you use it"
"No... I want to know the max (plate) rating. It says it needs a 3A fuse. I might run it off the CH power - but I have a boiler, another CH UFH pump and this - it's not a given all of that will be happy on 3A".
"Oh - let me look at the manual".
"Don't bother - I've already downloaded it and read it right through"
*sigh*
On 17/03/2017 20:32, Tim Watts wrote:

How many signs do you pass in this 200m bit of road?
https://goo.gl/maps/iUdfGgi6pKk
--
Adam