idiot going for Darwin award

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The Hummer fire made the news last night. Another woman flipped her car and the gas in the trunk caught fire. Darwin is doing well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do you believe everything your "friend"s tell you?

Yes, there's a picture floating around the Internet of someone doing this.

No, it's NOT from the current problem and not even from the US.

danny burstein

I do believe this particular friend. He is over 70 years old and a no nonsense person.

While no way to confirm it, on the news today there are stories of people doing all kinds of dumb things to get more gas at the stations. Such as using garbage bags and even putting it into open buckets in the turnks of cars.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The morning news had a photo of a burned out car, caused by someone using hand sanitizer while smoking. Car was a total loss, everyone in survived but had burns.

Reply to
TimR

On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:34:40 -0400, Ralph Mowery posted for all of us to digest...

That was a story going around. I haven't seen any pix but what the heck-flame on!

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Fri, 14 May 2021 09:34:10 -0700 (PDT), TimR posted for all of us to digest...

Why didn't they just use the ethanol in the gaz?

Reply to
Tekkie©

This looks pretty convincing

gfretwell

There was a photo of a blonde pumping gas into a laundry basket with the caption 'She isn't going to like how much this is going to cost.'. Presumably she had some sort of containers in the basket but it was a natural for a meme.

Reply to
rbowman

Well, she double bagged it for safety. What could go wrong?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

She was on her way to a peaceful demonstration. That's the new, improved Molotov design.

Reply to
rbowman

Your friend must not be alone. Just heard on the radio that some govt. national safety agency warned a couple days ago against carrying gasoline in plastic bags.

When I was in high school I was doing something to the lawn mower, trying to clean small parts maybe, and I soaked them in gasoline in a little plastic dish that frozen? food had come in, and after 30 or 60 minutes, the dish started to turn into a puddle. Not at all sure, but I don't think they use that kind of plastic much anymore.

Reply to
micky

See my post at the end of the thread.

We had a big gas shortage in the 70's and I don't remember anyone putting gas in plastic bags then. Maybe it was because there were far fewer plastic bags then. But we had paper bags. How come no one used those?

Reply to
micky

Most likely polystyrene. Most plastics are not soluble in gasoline but above its melting point, polyethylene is soluble.

Working on plastic autobody parts we would put a plastic piece in a jig under bending stress and put drops of automotive liquids like gasoline, brake fluid, oil, antifreeze, etc to look for stress cracking. Something homeowner might think of in using plastic container.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Don't let him fool you. micky was a teenage terrorist.

Reply to
rbowman

That is true. Original Napalm recipe used metallic soaps as gelling agent later switched to polystyrene.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On Fri, 14 May 2021 18:18:07 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Clean up on aisle 5

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sat, 15 May 2021 14:59:09 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Reply to
Tekkie©

:-)

Andy