dangerous advice?

I know of a Mr Maxwell who might have disagreed with you over the vacuum, depending how long the wire is and how fast the voltage is changing.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

So as you've been told a load is always present whether you see it or not.

Reply to
whisky-dave

is the problem.

What of cables in a coma, sems you have a problem with the words maybe that 's it. How about a cable NOT carrying a current, what is that called ?

You mean it could be a bird or a plane or superman ?

well as long as it's more than you know I won't worry.

on't tell you whether you're correct or not.

How do you see voltage ?

???????????????

you've claimed it can't be live without currrent, make up your mind.

It coucld also be a snake,.

Reply to
whisky-dave

what if two wires were 1 metre apart and had negligible cross sectional area and the force between those wires was 1x10^-7n in a vacuum.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The load can be anything that transmits the status of the conductor to the observer.

One more time eh?

Got it?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

1x10^-7n in a vacuum.

There we are, the measurement has been oserved, the cable is "live".

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

dead.

Perceive or observe, not see!

I look for photons usually.

No change of mind involved. How would you define whether the cable was

0., 110, 240, 415V ac or even 3.7V DC without drawing current, or possibly adding to it?

That is extremely silly.

You are a very naughty boy!

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Totally pertinent.

If the wire is connected to 240V and the 240V has been observed then the cable is live. If the cable is connected to a point that has not been observed to be 240V, the wire is neither alive nor dead.

The observation is yet to be made, so don't rush out to buy the toaster, although to be honest the mere fact of connecting the toaster will take the cable to a dead, or live status.

Which was the prime reason for asking the question initially.

Alive or not alive!

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

No, Bill's original question quoted some numptie's very poor answer to the question "Is line wire also called live wire", and asked if the quoted answer was "dangerous advice".

The answer to the question is simply "yes", the quoted answer is dangerous advice, because it contained inaccurate and misleading information on several levels. It also makes a statement about main wiring which, if trusted, could result in serious injury.

The answer to the original question on wikihow is also "Yes" - A line wire is also called a live wire"

Make your mind up, you said "If the wire is connected to 240V, then it is a live wire that's bloody obvious"

Other than that you have said nothing even remotely pertinent to the question.

Reply to
John Rumm

As Mr Maxwell predicted, free space provides a load (and has an impedance which is definable) and can carry real solid generated power away from your wire to the far ends of the universe.

For these purposes, with a few simple precautions, air is just as good as a vacuum (a theoretical concept as you point out) and the quality of the vacuum is irrelevant.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

it's not a cable it's a wire. Do you know the differnce.

Reply to
whisky-dave

it is the problem.

So a live wire carrying no current is called dead ? Is that why they call i t neutral ?

"

How do you perserve or observe voltage ?

How does a live or dead cable produce photons ?

You said you'd see the photons, so expain what you see.

How about an eel, perhaps an electric eel

Reply to
whisky-dave

I certainly do not.

Tell us oh great one, when is a wire not a cable and vice versa?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I hope Mr Dyson isn't reading this ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Then why not look it up, educate yourself.

Now you need to educate yuorself on the differnce bewteeen potential difference and voltage.

you might also need to understand what is actual meant by live.

If you watch a youtube video of someone connecting a circuit to 240V and lighting a bulb does that make the cable or wore 'Live" or is it recorded, you might then need to understand the differnce between soneone that says they love a kebab and someone that says they love their partner or their pet. And those that say they could murder a beer or eat a horse.

Reply to
whisky-dave

one man's semantic pedantry

Oh dear.

In that article: "Electric potential difference is the same as voltage"

I am smiling - do carry on.

and lighting a bulb does that make the cable or wore 'Live" or is it recorded,

says they love a kebab and someone that says they love their partner or their pet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AC current will generate photons (aka radio waves)

Reply to
Tim Watts

When working in education you really should try to get things like this correct. As I explained to the academic that asked me to take the Vandergraaf generator and a meter to a lectuer room. I asked her what sort of meter as I don't think we've ever used one in the past, she said oh sorry I'm bulgarian when I said a meter I ment a metre stick, you know the rulers you keep in the lab.

But NOT in calculations, we always use voltage when we mean potentail differnce. We say that V=IR so without current there is NO voltage so in that case a live wire could be considered dead, but that doesn't mean there is NO potentail differnce, and that for me is the differnce.

It;s like standing on the edge of a cliff, theer'es the potential to kill yuotself by falling but if you don't fall that deosn't mean there is no danger/risk.

OK Live today we are watching live football but is it at 240V ? Why use the term live do you even know ? So what voltages do you think we can say the wire/cable is live can we say it's live if we have 1V on it ? Is static electricity live ? So a charged ballon can be live.

and when is a PP3 battery dead or any other battery. I have about 100 AAs, AAAs, 2032, PP3s and other batteries in a bucket to be recycled people tell me they have dead batteries but some of them sghow 0.8V and when tested have 20% power remaining and measure above 1 volt are those batteries dead or alive ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Unless your are talking about then Gestalt Aether Theory then prove it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

the cable on a suspension bridge is not a wire. It may be made of several wires or several cables.

Reply to
dennis