Damp car interior / misting up

It's the time of year when my car tends to get lots of condensation inside, enough to have to wipe the insides of the windows. If it freezes it is a real pain.
My Q is how to best get rid of the dampness whilst driving. My journey to work is about 15mins and it takes 5mins for the car to come to temperature. Do I drive with the heater on full blast all the way? Should I open the windows a couple of minutes before I get to work to let the hot moist air out?
I don't have aircon or recirculate.
Pete
Its really not long enough to get all the damp out - Certainly hot air holds more water vapour than cold, so its good to get the inside as warm as comfortably possible, but equally important to get a good airflow through the car at all times, hot or cold, to whisk away the damp air. If you have aircon that drys the air and, even when cold, will help. Don't use recirculate. When you arrive at the destination, let the hot moist air out by leaving the door open for a few seconds. Do whatever you can to avoid bringing water into the car - damp raincoats / dogs / shoes etc. - probably little you can do about this. If parked under a carport or in a garage, leave a window or two cracked open a touch if security is not compromised to allow air flow through the car. Go for a long hot breezy drive once or twice a week to dry the car out.
Hope that helps,
Nick

holds
the
the
/
open a

I'll give that a try Thanks

Which bit of "I don't have aircon or recirculate." in the OPs post couldn't you understand ?
--
geoff

writes

holds
the
It's a public forum, others who have the same problem may well have aircon etc. I posted that I didn't have aircon to prevent an inital round of "have you got aircon" posts.
I had the same problem a while back with an old car.
How old is your car? I found that my car had a small leak and the carpets were always damp and I think that had alot to do with it. Tried everything to fix it but never did, sorry couldn't help
Paul

inside,
temperature.

10 yrs old. I suspect that seals etc aren't up to scratch, I've already fixed leaks in the light clusters and scuttle panel.
PM wrote:

Recirculate is the worst thing you can do.
Best is heater full blast, open windows, and leave the windows open a crack at night.

When my old Fiesta had damp problems, I sorted the leak first (silicone sealant round window seals sorted it) followed by leaving a fan heater on low on the back seat on a plank of wood (just in case it got too hot) and leaving windows slightly open for an afternoon. Sorted damp problem.

If you have aircon, recirculate is the best thing you can do. Reducing the humidity of the small volume of air in the car is rather easier than drying the damp air drawn in from outside. It amazes me how many people I've spoken to with car aircon never use it in the winter to demist their cars. Me every aircon system in the cars I have owned has been broken :-( and more expensive to fix than the value of the car.
Sam
Sam wrote:

Recirculation doesnt work because all teh sioggy wet air goes around and around. The ourtdie iar, being cold, is able to xcarry less water anyway, and what there is gets sucked oput by teh aircon. THEN you hate THAT and its ultra dry - a lot dryer than air sucked fromn inside the car.

But the air is recirculated over the aircon condenser round and round and gets dryer and dryer. If you are drawing in cold damp air then it's going to take longer to dry.
Sam
Sam wrote:

You don;t apprecaite then that soggy air at 20C holds about 4 times as much water as soggy air at 2C.
Air below 0c holds no water at all...

Countries with proper winters are great, aren't they
--
geoff

raden snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com typed:

Hmmm.. tell that to all the trees around here, leaves went yellow weeks ago its December tomorrow and they're still up there.

And translated this means................??????
MJ
snipped-for-privacy@MJ.com says...

Recirculation doen't work because all the soggy wet air goes around and

around. The outside air, being cold, is able to carry less water

anyway, and what there is gets sucked out by the aircon. THEN you heat

THAT and it's ultra dry - a lot drier than air sucked from inside the car.

inside,
temperature.
air
I've not done that yet .. will give it a go
Ta

inside,
temperature.
air
Windows open a crack at night (and during the day) has helped a lot. Mind you, it hasn't rained for a week so there could still be a leak somewhere...
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:34:05 -0000, "PM"

The only real way is to find out where the leak is and fix it. Here is one way wet could be getting in http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid= snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com
Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to email me