DAB antenna problem

In article , Simon Mason scribeth thus

Well any piece of metal will work as an aerial, but some pieces of metal are much more efficient than others...

Reply to
tony sayer

If it's anything like TomTom it will warn of a 20 minute traffic queue and offer the alternative of a clear route to avoid. Five minutes after committing to the alternative route TT it will then warn of the 30 minute queue on that route.

Around my way a problem on a major route results in grid lock on surrounding alternative routes within a very short time.

Reply to
alan_m

Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

no, but they can have mobile phone access

Reply to
charles

They don't need internet access - just a source of traffic information that is overlaid on to the maps already on the device

I have TT on my my android smart phone and it gets traffic data over the phone network. The disadvantage with this is in areas with poor mobile phone coverage. In one part of the country that I visit on a regular basis I can travel 10 miles without reliable phone coverage and the traffic information will suddenly appear when its too late to do anything about it. Its also one reason why I don't now use the phones positioning which is a mix of the internal medium sensitivity GPS and phone mast information. I have a dedicated sensitive GPS unit mounted at the base of the windscreen communicating via bluetooth to the phone.

There are dedicated TT units that can get 'live' traffic information but there also units without this facility.

Reply to
alan_m

My Nuvicam does this.

Simon Mason

Oh, so as well as a tom tom you have to buy a mobile phone with a data connection as well?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not via IP?

So of cpourse you need a smartphone.

The disadvantage with this is in areas with poor mobile

Well since I don't have or want a smart phione, it looks to me that I need a system that does its own 'phoning'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, you can buy a TomTom with it's own data connection, but if you have a Smart Phone, why not use that instead of buying a more expensive unit and paying an annual subscription.

Reply to
charles

But I dont have a smart phone and I dont want a smart phone

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

then you buy a Tom Tom that has its own dat connection. Simple, really.

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want to.

Reply to
charles

Reason I bought mine was the pretty respectable snapshot camera. If I could have bought a basic phone with one, I'd have done so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

agred it fine for snap shots, but I have a"proper" camera for "real" photographs.

Reply to
charles

Thing with a phone is you tend to carry it at all times. A 'proper' camera, likely not. And the best pics don't always wait for you to go and get it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True - but I was luck last evening. The sun stayed where it was just long enough for me to get my real camera. In any case I didn't have my phone with me.

Reply to
charles

Stop arguing and just get one i felt the same now i wouldn't be without it!.

Motorola Moto G that is no Apple crapple here thanks;)

Reply to
tony sayer

I have one of these which does not need a mobile phone signal and will work anywhere in the world.

Simon Mason

It may or may not be a more expensive model , but my Tomtom with its own data connection does not require an annual subscription.

They do nag me to pay for traffic camera data, but that's a different story.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

How humans lived before smartphones I just don't know.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I live without a phone now as I use the correct tool for the job.

Simon Mason