D-I-Y stores in Belgium - or maybe France - for electrical stuff

I need to buy some electrical bits and pieces for installation in our boat in Belgium. In particular I want some reasonable quality European type sockets to replace the existing ghastly collection of partly broken sockets hanging on the ends of loose wires.

Cable etc. I can obviously buy here in the UK (yes, I know, flex for boats, etc.) and much of the other 'behind the scenes' stuff can be UK made but the sockets themselves need to be local really.

So what DIY stores are there in Belgium? They don't seem to allow big 'hypermarché' type stores at all. Alternatively if I potter across the border into France what are the best places there for simple electrical stuff?

While I'm at it is there anything in principle against fitting both European Schuko sockets and UK BS1363 sockets on the same system?

Reply to
tinnews

I don't think so, provided you take into account that the Europeans aren't fused so will be on lower amperage radials, and also aren't polarised (and on a boat you may not have either wire tied to earth anyway)

MK do socket plates (intended for hotesl) that include a variety of different sockets on one faceplate.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Do you have a part number for that? I would find that quite useful, and couldn't find it in a quick google.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Plates are K14100, K14200 and K14205 (etc) incorporating 4 or 6 Euro Modules (which you can use for power, telecom, data, audio-visual etc) with 13Amp

For example in Polished Brass you could use a K184PBS and 2 x K5831 BLK to give you 2 German type sockets.

K2741 faceplate in Logic Plus, modules + 13Amp.

Picture on Page 129 in the Big Red MK Catalogue (page 133 in the Flash CD-ROM version)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Pretty picture

Owain

Wow, look at this monstrosity

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Now that's a clever idea, thanks for the pointer.

Reply to
tinnews

Is MK owned by Honeywell now?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For the last 5 years.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you think that's bad try these

Owain

Is there a situation where you would want Schuko in waterproof? Ebay UK has 290373285510 which are Clipsal IP66 Schuko. They have a clear front which is not unattractive in a domestic environment, it makes it obvious what they are, the lid is snap down which easily opens without being fiddly like many waterproof or splashproof outlets. I think the Ebay listing is for the top only (LE, Less Enclosure) and the backboxes are 38mm or 63mm re 56E1 or 56ES1 which are difficult to source or costly. Hunts Electrical, Scatts.co.uk & Jales Electrical and a few others - think RS do the backboxes too under Gerrard Industries. The benefit is you can make them built-in and waterproof. I think Masterseal do a Schuko model.

MK do the "conventional" stuff which you might find at interesting prices. If you need 15A on an outlet, do not forget MK do a 15A plug with shuttered 15A socket. No idea if there are heavy loads on a boat but something to consider other than BS1363.

Reply to
js.b1