D-I-Y Flood lighting

In message , bert writes

Oh dear..................................

Reply to
Bill

I remain uninsulted. Plentiful, adaptable, non-hazardous, discreet... every serious d-i-yer should carry a pocketful.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Farmers seem to carry enough in their pockets to provide nests for a number of small mammals. The rest of us have alternatives, although I do admit to using some hairy string (like bailing twine, but bio-degradable and not bright orange) today.

Reply to
Nightjar

Baler twine is also infinitely reusable. As long as you don't mind there being more knots than string.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

All tied up with baler twine.

Reply to
bert

A single un-guyed scaffold pole will sway a bit in the wind, with a light on top.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not an issue. As long as we can see the sheep and the dog we are OK. But we can always tie it with baler twine.

Reply to
bert

Night vision goggles will allow you to do that and, I am very reliably informed, are also good for spotting poachers. Of course, you may need a pair for the dog as well, if it has to see the sheep.

Reply to
Nightjar

It would be helpful if the dog could see the sheep although we could get round that by spraying them with fluorescent paint. Then we wouldn't need the night vision goggles.

Reply to
bert

LED's, that's what you need. Skip the first minute:-

John Williamson

Paint the dog in luminous paint. Or do this...

Grimly Curmudgeon

Nature has provided the sheep with fat and a wick so if you set fire to them they can be seen by the dogs for a long time.

Reply to
alan_m

Surprisingly we do not often hear of spontaneous ovine combustion. In fact, I don't remember a single case, though I am aware of burning animals after a lightning strike, for example.

Is this a difference between ovines and humans?

Reply to
polygonum

Beagles might be more likely to suffer it given the normal means for starting "spontaneous" human combustion.

Reply to
Clive George

It's worth watching the whole video. I've seen this one before but it still brought a smile to my face (I'm not _quite_ that jaded yet).

The thought "Blade Runner" came to mind but I somehow don't think this was what was in the mind of Philip K, Dick when he came up with the title, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".

Reply to
Johny B Good

"Spontaneous Combustion" was a misnomer in the first case. Nobody has ever witnessed an actual case of "Spontaneous Combustion" in progress from beginning to end (i.e. A person happily demonstrating the attributes of a living entity suddenly and inexplicably going on fire before being burnt to death by this mysterious affliction).

In every case of "Spontaneous Combustion", it has always proved to be a post mortem process. The victim was already dead before becoming, for whatever reason, a 'human candle'.

Reply to
Johny B Good

It's a good video right enough, but I was recommending avoiding the "This is Fred, he owns the sheep" "This is Joe, he owns the dog" and so on bit.

Reply to
John Williamson

Few old VW blocks and the hillsides daylight

Adam Aglionby

Or porcine in at least some attempts to demonstrate the post mortem combustion.

Reply to
polygonum

I wasn't decrying your time saving advice, just commenting on the video as a whole. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good