New Saws on the block

Just got hold of a Stanley 7 tpi from a discount warehouse. £3.99.

Has Bahco gone the way of all flesh?

This thing has your actual heavy duty moyenne section. WTH is that? And should I have got half a dozen of them? It's sad that Sandvic Diston got screwed over by bean counters but that is life.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Has Bahco gone the way of all flesh?

This thing has your actual heavy duty moyenne section. WTH is that? And should I have got half a dozen of them? It's sad that Sandvic Diston got screwed over by bean counters but that is life.

Can't answer your question but I still have 2 or 3 Disston handsaws, probably pre-WWII era, and they are excellent saws. I don't recall the history exactly but apparently the Disston brothers went their separate ways. One in USA and one in Canada. One supposedly better than the other but I forget how that worked. They both made good handsaws and you can bet your bippy that they are at least as good as any modern day offering.

Hands up anyone here that still sharpens/sets their own saws. I do. Unfortunately age and failing eyesight are em nirgub in reverse.

Moyenne. Centre, middle, median perhaps. Dredged from memories of schoolboy French lessons. Titter ye not!

Reply to
Nick

And I sharpen drills and regrind augers.

Chisels and plane blades goes without saying, innit?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell