D/G glass replacement question

Hi again,

The mother in law lives in her own flat and it has uPVC windows and door leading out onto a small balcony.

The lower glass panes in the door and window have the inner layer 'patterned' and she would like 'plain' glass units instead?

The large lower 'window' (1735w x 730h) is externally glazed and the lower door panel (595w x 665h) is internally glazed and the modules seem to be 28mm thick.

Firstly do we have the freedom to change the glass and is so would there be any rules / regs that may apply please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Below a certain height it has to be safety glass IIRC, but i`m not a glass fitter by trade :-}

I know when we got our double glazing done the guy who came to do the proper costings once the salesman agreed a price was most upset that all our windows were below that height :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Ah, thanks for that Colin .. that's the sort of thing I'm looking out for ..

Cheers ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

All windows below a certain height have to use toughened glass for safety reasons. As far as clear vs obscured is concerned it probably depends on why obscured was used in the first place. It may have been a planning requirement to avoid overlooking another property. If not, there's no reason why you can't use clear.

Reply to
Set Square

I believe if the area of the pane is small enough, this does not apply (at least in doors, typically those with many narrow panes of glass).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

somewhere on that site is what you need.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Thanks for the replies guys ..