Cutting Rebar

What is the easiest way to cut rebar ?

I have 12 sheets of rebar mesh (10mm bar) to cut to shape this weekend. The hire shops told me that bolt croppers would do it. However when I turned up with a bit of rebar, the bolt croppers would not cut it ..........

I am now on the backup plan, angle grinder .......

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Yup.

(reciprocating saw with a hacksaw blade in it will also work)

Reply to
John Rumm

So I am in for a pile of hard work. Power tools always take more care then manual ones ....... I have over 100 cuts to do.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

  1. bolt croppers, 2. angle grinder. Sounds like somethings wrong with the croppers maybe. Blunt or not adjusted right?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Must be something wrong with the bolt croppers you tried I have a pair of

36" ones from machinemart (cost about £20) and they have no problems going throuth 1/2" ( I think there rated up to 16mm )
Reply to
Frank

An angle grinder with metal cutting disc is easy enough to use - just get yourself a comfortable hight support to put the rebar on before cutting if you can. If you have a 9" grinder then the weight of the machine alone is plenty enough force to cut.

Reply to
John Rumm

smaller cheapie £6 croppers would probably not manage 10mm. Dont know what kind of croppers OP has.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hi - bolt cutters should be fine for this - maybe you need a bigger pair, 18" ones will be too small! You need a 30" set for 10mm re-bar.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

OP took a bit of the rebar to a hire shop so they could demo the suitability of their bolt cutters... unsuccessfully!

Any hire shop worth it's salt ought to be hiring out decent cutters rather than cheapies...

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Unfortunately, hiring stuff only to find its stuffed is all too common. The resulting delays prove expensive. They dont seem to care less if the kit works or not. Hence I dont like dealing with these outfits if I can help it.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The cropper I tried where at least 36 inches, from the hire shop. I took the rebar into the shop to test .......

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper