Cutting boards at 45 degrees

Friends, thankyou for your ideas regarding my kitchen oven etc.

I know have a different problem!

The kicker boards that are clipped to the legs of the kitchen units.

How can I cut a 45 degree angle on the ends of the boards without using a special power saw or similar because I do not have them and hiring them for one job is too prohibitive!

I do have a mitre block but it is only 3,1/2" high and the boards are

6 inches.

There must be a way of marking it up so that I can use an ordinary saw but it baffles me!

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

£20 will sort it out for you,doing the job with just a hand saw is a task particulary when theres a few to do. I pressume you mean a chamfered edge on the kickerboards?
George

Chamfered being another word for an external mitre ?

OP...Clamp a piece of timber to the board to guide the saw .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

A mitre block is useful but not essential for this job,

Buy a good quality, adjustable mitre square, mark the top or bottom of the board at 45 degrees and square the line down both faces, hold the board upright against a solid surface (or clamp it in a Workmate bench) and using a panel (or crosscut) hand saw, cut down the board along the marked lines.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

The bottom of your mitre block is scored by the sawing you've already done on it. Use the score marks to guide you marking of the angles. Place the kick board in the middle of your block and mark both faces where marks touch. Turn the kick over and do the same. Join up your marks and you should be a close as pulling a hair from your privates. Or pull a string over the top and slide it into the slots at half of ninety.

Or you could just butt joint the kicks at the ends. Push one past the other at 90 degrees.

Have fun !!!

Reply to
BigWallop

Clamp the miter block to the board so you can start the cut, once you reach the bottom of the slot you should be able to finish the rest without the guide.

Reply to
dennis

May not be the best approach. It will look good at first if you get it exactly right - not easy - but the outside corners will be very vulnerable - essentially the melamine outer skin comes to a feather edge at the edge of the mitre, leaving it unsupported. Once its been hit by a cleaner or a shoe a few times it will chip and look awful.

When we did the job I butted the two pieces and the kitchen supliers provided a bit of plastic capping the same colour as the surface which clips on the end of the longer length of kick board. Doesn't look quite as professional but it still looks the same ten years on as it did new.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Reconsider whether you need to angle the joint - can you use butt joints with edging strip?

Alternatively, cut straight (90 degree) cuts and use a Surform to get the 45 degree angle on both surfaces.

Reply to
OG

I'd suggest that you butt them (best side out, obviously), clamp on a square, cut through the (presumably) melamine with a stanley knife (carefully) and saw through with a tenon. Even then you still might have to touch-up with paint, who is going to notice? Give it a fortnight and you'll forget all about it ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

Why mitre? Cut one long and butt the other to it.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

My thanks to everyone who has responded the general consensus appears to be to butt them rather than cut at 45 degrees so that is what shall do, it saves an awful lot of extra work.

Thanks again for the ideas, regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg