Curing condensation

That's indeed how it works.

Reply to
Huge

Whereas my 6 year old volvo doesn't.

Reply to
GB

There is a difference between air con and between climate control

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not with climate control

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At this time of year and in my car at least, humidity rises in recirc whether the a/c is switched on or off - because the a/c only actually works above a certain temperature (5C IIRC).

Rob

Reply to
RJH

What happens if the pipe it drips out of is blocked?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a 2003 Corolla, and that has started to do the same thing. Almost every time I see it before its used, all the windows are steamed? up inside. I just wipe them, and then put the heating and blowers up to full on.

Anyways, I'm going to get rid of it quite soon as we have had it for over 7 years now. Its still in good condition and the only things it has cost me is 4 tyres and a new battery in all that time.

Reply to
RobertH

I'm sure its pretty obvious, but just in case, when the air temperature drops the air can hold less water, and dumps it on any convenient surface that is colder. So you either keep your car very cold all over and inside, or stop moisture getting in, however after alumna or three have been breathing in there, they will always be some water to condense, but it does seem there is a lot somewhere in your car. Makbe a back seat stuffed with silica gel is the answer.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Has it got aircon? This seems to be a central point to this discussion. (My 2003 Corolla -- "best car I've ever owned" -- doesn't have aircon. Mind you: it's mollycoddled and kept in the garage.)

Ref the original question: we are all having an extended period (months) of super-saturated air, which is being kept (relatively) warm during the daytime, but (this being January) cools down drastically overnight. Shirley this is the simple explanation? i.e. the problem will evaporate [ha ha] when ambient daytime temperature drops, or when over night temperatures warm up in Spring. ??

John

Reply to
Another John

You will probably find the carpets are wet. You have a leak that needs fixing.

Reply to
harry

Hum, not sure how you make the heat pump pump varying amounts of heat. Much simpler to have blending valves that mix differing amounts of cold and warm air to achieve the desired cabin temperature.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This was your mistake. Leave it on fresh all the time.

You probably have a rain leak in the car. There's a lot of rain about ATM.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Why are you getting rid of it? It's not worth a lot, and it keeps going...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Climate control may well decide that the air doesn't need cooling

All refrigerant pumps run intermittently to modulate the cooling

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed.

There is less moisture 'hot' or 'cold' aircon air than in non-aircon air. There is the same amount in 'hot' and 'cold' aircon air. So as I said, there is no more moisture in 'hot' than 'cold' aircon air.

Indeed.

Not at all. I think you might be, though. What exactly makes you think I am confused?

Reply to
David Taylor

My money would be with news. I used to leave a dehumidifier running overnight inside a CX estate, and in the end took out the front carpets and the moulded foam underlay (up to two inches thick in places and saturated). Too difficult to sort out the leak(s), given the age of the car.

Reply to
newshound

I think it does work in the way you suggest except in some circumstances where the air is cooled before heating.

On a Ford with aircon and _ONLY_ in the demist windscreen/windshield setting the manual says "If equipped, the air conditioning will switch on to dehumidify the air"

In normal mode there will be no prior cooling.

Reply to
alan

It doesn't have to be a leak. Getting into the car with damp clothing because its been raining or carrying hot take-away food will put a lot of moisture inside of the cabin.

Reply to
alan