Ctek clone battery charger button replacement?

I was talking to a mate tonight and he mentioned he had an older Aldi / Ctek clone type charger where the button had stopped working (so he couldn't even put in into 12V mode). ;-(

Is it very likely it's just a small pushbutton SM switch (I seem to remember reading here people had replaced said on theirs ... Dave P?) and are they typically the same thing (size / spec) across most models?

eg, If I get one (10) on order, what should it be or should I wait till I get it and order from there?

I have a fair few bits of old kit that has the little square momentary switches that the switches would be unused (or never carried any real current) that I could probably desolder if it wasn't that critical?

I'm assuming a single pole, push to make / momentary?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

This is what I bought. Worked perfectly since. (6x6mm) That is, 6mm square,

6 mm length.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oops. Forget the 6mm length. Just check what the old one is. My order doesn?t actually list the length that I bought.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks for that.

So was your original switch through hole?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So I would have to wait to get the charger in my hands before ordering.

Yeah, that is frustrating but I can normally find reference to it somewhere, either in the buying history or confirmation emails.

I guess if it's just rubber, you could get the longer one and trim to size?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

See my other post. I was mistaken about the length. It?s not listed in my order email.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes (if you?re referring to its PCB fixing). Easy to replace.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, I was, as I saw a repair video that looked like it had a surface mounted switch.

Cool, nothing more rewarding than an excuse to use the powered desoldering station: ;-)

OK, for many many years I used the mechanical sucker type and / or braid but the mechanical pump is much more gentle on the PCB and something that I wish I'd got sooner (although I got mine s/h / not working and fixed it). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I found a selection box of tactile switches on Ebay and bought a couple of them. They had a suitable one for the Lidl charger. Think I had to trim the push button down a bit - it's plastic so easy to cut.

They're all 4 contact. Didn't check to see what it actually was, as it worked. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Generally with a component you know is scrap, it can make sense to snip it off using decent sharp cutters. Then remove the leg remains one by one. For through hole, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not quite so easy with through hole radial electrolytics and other components that sit over their pins. :-)

Or big multi pin through hole devices like laptop power sockets.

Whist you can (and I have) used heavier side cutters to muller up the plastic part to be able to get to the pins individually, it can sometimes be much easier to use the right tool, suck the solder out from round each pin easily and watch the thing fall out. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m