creating static

is it possible to create a static field ?

want to make a cat deterant and figured a static shock would stop them sh*tting on my plants

I recall seeing something on the net about a copper wire running along the top of a wall but can't remember how it worked

does anyone have a clue as to how it works/can be made ?

thanks

Reply to
les

You want an electric fence generator as used by farmers. I can't guarantee it won't make the cats fall off and get hurt but it will stop them.

It works on kids too.

Reply to
dennis

I hate cats

I do not fully understand why there is a fine for not clearing up your dogs crap but that cats can crap where they like with impunity

I am tempted to collect all of the crap from my neighbours cat and post it back through their letter box. Their cat their crap

If I was going to run wires I would get electric fence gear from an agricultural merchant and do the job that way

Supersoaker full of urine

Black widow catapult and 1/2 inch marble

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I believe that cats are classified as wild animals - certainly ours are fairly wild !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

They are classed as vermin. You can get rid of them as long as you are not cruel to them. You are not allowed to cause unecessary suffering to any animal. If the owners refuse t control them just take it to the RSPCA and have it put down.

Reply to
dennis

Are you quite sure about that? Do you have a reference to a statute covering it?

Are you quite sure about that? Do you have a reference to a statute covering it?

The outcome for the cat would not be your decision.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You would also look a little stupid if the cat is chipped and is shown as living at a neighbours address. You might even get a visit from the police.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

to create a static field ?

I tried the catapult. Make marks on the window to help you judge your aim. I found that one at eye level and a couple 2" above and below helped a great deal but your mileage will vary.

The cats soon get to know the sounds of windows opening, the flick of the band and whizz of glass orbs. I would practice with about three cans at the appropriate places for a few evenings.

Having something loud and clackety that you can aim at instead or besides the vermin is nearly as good as a boost up their backside to help them over the fence.

I have 6' x 6' panels, they work a treat. There is something immediately satisfying and moreish about a cat suddenly alerted to its preferred options.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The obvious thing to do in that case is to ask if the vermin is someone's pet or just a vagabond that has take a s**te to your garden.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Well take road law for an example... if you hit a dog you are required to report it.. if its a cat you can just leave it where it is.

Vermin like rats.

It will be if the chilli oil in the water pistol doesn't work.

Reply to
dennis

You have to go round the garden and urinate in several places. This marks it as your territory and the cat will keep out, It may be best to do this at night when all the neighbours have gone to bed or you could end up in nick.

. As an alternative you can buy "tiger piss" from some Zoos which really keeps them out.

Reply to
Sam Farrell

For the sensible options, consider a) PIR + solenoid + water sprayer b) Or for a seedbed only, lots of upright sticks stuck in teh soil every 5"

The sillier sugestions are likely to land you in trouble with the law and/or your nieghbour.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I shoot pigeons when they attack my vegetables Other people breed pigeons for racing

I kill squirrels when they get into my roof space and attack the joists People encourage squirrels with food

I kill mice when they attempt to chew through cables in my utility room my neighbour has pet mice

I kill rabbits when they eat the whole row of seedlings I have just planted my other neighbour has pet rabbits in cages

I kill grass snakes when they take frogs from my pond My friend keeps snakes in a tank in his lounge

I breed chinchillas as pets

Farmers legally shoot dogs who worry their livestock

Why should I be considered silly when I kill a cat for scooping fish out of my pond, crapping amongst my vegetables or crapping where my children play?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Our cats stay in, because I care about the safety of the neighbours - ie they hurt our cats I hurt the neighbours. Simple. And no I'm not joking.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Its good to hear from a responsible cat owner

As you cats do not cause harm to others there is no need for them to harm your cats

I have always believed in keeping my pets under control and at the same time keeping them from harm by others

I just wish more cat owners would keep their cats under control.

Perhaps them we would also have wild birds back in our gardens

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Probably, because old "Dennis the Safety Chicken" is always very, very sure about everything.

No, because as usual he's talking complete bollocks. Cats are treated as wild animals (i.e. uncontrollable and unconfinable) under many laws, but certainly not as vermin.

Cats have been recognised as property and to have monetary value since the Laws of Hywel Dda a pre-Conquest Welsh lawbook (defined as four pence, or a third less if it can't catch mice)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They are treated as wild animals anywhere that injuring them would be a problem to others.. like being run over. Just as well really because they are pretty dumb. They are lucky that their natural habits are mistaken for affection by some people.

Wan't that so they could be taxed?

Reply to
dennis

Kicked my neighbours into hospital but that was not about the cats. Protect your cats and hurt the neighbours. I find size 10 steel toes capped boots work well along with a good solicitor to get you out.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Exactly. All of mine are chipped for this among a number of other reasons. I would make certain that there was a police visit. RSPCA and many animal rescue places either have or have access to chip readers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You didn't answer the question.

You still didn't answer the question