Faulty tap - is it just the washer?

A friend of mine just asked me if I could replace a faulty tap washer for her. But when she described the problem I wasn't sure if it was simply the washer that's to blame.

When she closes the tap, she meets resistance at the end of its travel, and though the water slows it doesn't stop. But if she then tries to close the tap even further, it passes the point of resistance and rotates freely again, and the water flow returns to maximum.

Is the tap itself due for replacement, or is it in fact the washer?

Many thanks,

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Could be the washer - squashed flat so that the tap comes off the end of its thread. Equally it could be something else. Either way, if you take a new washer and investigate and ensure that everything inside is clean and freely moving then you will probably find a fix. Phil

Reply to
Phil B

Thanks for that. I thought that the continuous rotation must definitely mean something more serious.

Well, we'll see. Thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Bert Coules wrote on 05/06/2007 :

If a new washer doesn't fix it, you can get tap refurbishment kits- two complete tap innards (H+C) in a box with various adaptors to help make 'em fit. They are about £9 or so from the Plumb Centre.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's well worth knowing. Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

There is a small brass clip on the top of the jumper assembly on many taps, if it's come off it could cause that. The refurb kits are a good idea.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi Dave.

Ah, thanks. Since my original post I've discovered that the tap is also swivelling in its seating, so quite apart from the main fault there have probably been all manner of stresses and strains on its mechanism, not to mention its attendant pipework and connections.

As I've just said in another reply, the whole system really needs to be replaced and upgraded - but a more immediate fix is obviously needed.

It's not in Medway, otherwise I'd recommend calling you in...

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules