Crap paint warning

I never learn. I KNOW that if you pay half the price for paint you use three times as much and it still looks crap. I bought some B&Q quick-drying under coat and top coat. After four(!) under coats the wood stain was still coming through. One coat of the Crown equivalent and it's fine.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Apart from emulsion, own brand paint, especially primer, undercoat and top coat, in my experience, is rubbish. The exception is Wickes Professional range, otherwise it's Crown or Dulux, especially for outdoor use.

Reply to
Codswallop

try Leyland. You will never look further.

EricP

Interesting, I've used B&Q, Wickes, plus the "big brands" over the years and never had a problem with any of them.

For outdoor wood, "Ranch paint" by international has the edge.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

with it. (Others seem to like it so mybe I had a bad batch.) Homemade paints have been good for some jobs too so far, but is a different animal to the commercial stuff.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I and a few friends have had bad experiences with Crown, too. Emulsion anyway.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

We haven't looked back sonce someone on this ng talked about Farrow and Ball paint. Yes I know it's expensive but we think it's worth paying for.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I am rather underwhelmed by Crown quick drying gloss, it shows the brush marks and bubble pinholes quite badly.

Maybe all quick drying glosses are like that? I always used to use traditional gloss, well for the rare occasion where I used gloss. But high speed drying makes jobs so much easier to fit around the rest of life.

I have a tin of Leyland for the next job. It will be an interesting comparison and I will report back on the results.

HLAH

Yes. Acrylics don't work well as a gloss finish

I always used to use

Reply to
Stuart Noble

thier emulsion was what performed so badly for me too. It was so bad I havent bought anything Crown since.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think you'll be very pleased - but you ought to have 2 tins not one. Undercoat and top are both needed with their stuff. Unlike many brands, the undercoat carries nearly all the pigment, and the top coat has very little but gives a great smooth finish. So I dont suggest using Leyland topcoat without their undercoat first, it wont work satisfactorily alone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I was painting some pipework and radiators ~30 years ago. I was using Dulux white gloss, but lent the tin to someone else who needed it in a hurry. They replaced it with Crown white gloss. The Crown paintwork had all gone yellow in

6 months.

I know an experience ~30 years ago probably has little bearing on what might happen today, but I've never bought any Crown paint since then. I wonder if manufacturers realise how a bad product like this can have long term repercussions?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I wonder why they do it. Then again, once a product is on the shelves it would cost a huge amount of money to discontinue it, and bizzes are mostly running round try to milk the new cash cow, as failure to do so is liable to cost them big, so I can understand the temptation to carry on regardless. But its a real brand killer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I suspect denial comes into it as well. With any product launch there will be some criticism, and I've seen management interpret negative feedback as just more noise... no matter how much noise there was.

NT

Reply to
meow2222