Coving ... too late ?

I put lining paper on the walls and painted etc ... the other half says she would like some coving now !!! I will not go into how I felt at the time.

Can I fix it over the painted paper, or has she missed the boat ...........

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

In message , Mike P writes

I've fitted it over unpainted paper without problem, can't really see the paint making a difference, unless it's really crap paint.

Reply to
bof

Which answer would you prefer?

Reply to
Mogga

.. >On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:44:37 +0100, Mike P wrote: .. >

.. >>I put lining paper on the walls and painted etc ... the other half .. >>says she would like some coving now !!! I will not go into how I felt .. >>at the time. .. >>

.. >>Can I fix it over the painted paper, or has she missed the boat .. >>........... .. >>

.. >>Mike P .. >

.. >Which answer would you prefer?

Well .......... whatever keeps the peace :-) I am happy to have a go at he coving ..... any useful tips or web sites ?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

yep, shouldn't be a serious problem if you've got a bit of the paint left for touching in.

Reply to
Steve Walker

"Mike P" wrote

How good/permanent a job are you looking for? If you are prepared for cracks to appear between wall and cove and, if necessary, replace cove next time you decorate then it shouldn't be a problem. Granted you may get some cracking anyway depending on ceiling movement and the quality of the adhesive used. Personally I would live with the no-cove look until you next decorate, then do a proper job.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

If the coving is to be finished white then simply use decorator's cork around the perimeter - this will provide a flexible join that won't crack.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

"Decorator's cork" sounds interesting ;o)

Reply to
EyesWideShut

Decorator's caulk sounds too boring. Creative spelling adds interest.

Reply to
PJ

That depends on the type of coving? Plaster,Polystyrene?

Reply to
George

Yeah, exactly.

;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

You'll use more of the glue than you expect. (Or, to put it another way - the guidelines for amounts to use are actually more close to the truth for coving than they are for the average bucket of glue.) The coving may well show up the fact that you're walls are less flat than the extruded coving is straight. Which means more time up the step ladder waiting for the glue to take and keep the coving bent to the wall. It looks OK to me for my living room, but I'd think 3 times before doing it again, and if I was going to do it again, I'd check the flatness of the walls while I'm still stripping down and polyfilla-ing the holes. What I'd use to plane off the high bits, I don't know.

Reply to
Aidan Karley