Coving on crooked walls

Hi all,

I've managed to get about half way around my room but now I'm only left with crooked walls - what do I do?? I have thought about nailing the coving in place but one of my walls is like dust behind the plaster.

Has anybody got any tips for me?

Cheers Mike

Reply to
paola.mike

it used to be done by creating the coving in situ. A profiled board was used to create the profile.

If youre just after a quick fix, dilute pva soaked into crumbly walls firms them up quite well Soak it good and proper, and it'll take days to dry right out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Source?

Reply to
George

Score a line the wideness of the plaster and hack it off where the coving would fit.

Get some dry wall adhesive and dot&dab it on the back of the coving,push the coving into place till it level with the existing coving you have done. Then make good any discrepency with the adhesive or polyfilla ie holes/gouges

Reply to
George

If the nails will hold (at least until the adhesive sets) and it will pull the coving in so that there are no significant gaps, then I'd do that. You can also put some nails under the coving temporarily to support it's weight if that will help.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

wrote

I've not tried it, but I've been told that dampening the coving makes it more inclined to bend to the irregular shape of naff plater work.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

consider screwing it in place, should pull it up to the contour without leaving the hammer marks if you used nails

mark

Reply to
mark

If they are only slightly crooked it looks better to keep the coving straight rather than try to make it follow the contour of the wall. Then just fill the gaps afterwards - tends not to draw the eyes attention to the crooked wall.

You can make a couple of deadman props to support it while it dries.

(I tend to find the coving adhesive in a tube like that which toolstation sell (Everbuild) has enough grab to fix it without needing any extra support.

Reply to
John Rumm