covering water marks

We have a couple of large water marks on the kithcen ceiling as a result of some poor sealing between the bath waste pipe and the outside downpipe. The damage occured soon after we moved into the house and just after having the ceiling skimmed (to cover up the mess from removing al the lovely polystyrene tiles that were removed)

While this was actually a few years ago we've only just got around to painting the kitchen ceiling.

The ceiling has now had a couple of coats of emulsion but there are still a couple of areas where the water marks shine through.

Does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with this and getting the emulsion to effectively cover the damaged area?

regards

David

Reply to
David

You *can* get special paint for this - but I have always found oil-based white undercoat to be pretty effective. Apply this to the affected area and let it dry before applying the final emulsion paint.

Reply to
Set Square

You should be able to paint the area with a couple of coats of Unibond and then whatever paint you like...

Reply to
Roland Burr

The special stuff you are looking for is called Jinzer, and it aint cheap, but it works really well

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

I had a similar situation and used ordinary primer in the end. After a couple of coats of emulsion I can't see it at all now.

Reply to
Harry Ziman

I've an idea that this is a shellac or similar base with cellulose thinners. A variation on the tried and trusted theme of a layer of varnish.

While you can still get emulsion, the "trade" tends to distinguish between that and acrylics. High quality acrylics have a lot of titanium oxide -an high opacity whitener. That is why some brands are more expensive than others and also why they can be watered down a lot.

Try a coat of this high opacity stuff such as Macpherson's exterior quality paint.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Any OIL based undercoat/primer will do (i.e. anything that says to wash the brushes in white spirit).

Reply to
stuart noble

That should be 'Zinzer', and it isn't the only one of it's type arond - Dulux do one for instance. They are called 'stain-blockers' or 'problem solving primers'

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Thanks to everyone for the additional info

I should have some oil based under coat around from a recent job and I may well let the wife loose with it at the weekend as a first go.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

When I had a similar problem I just went over the marks with ordinary white undercoat (oil based) and then painted over with emulsion.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

The 'special' stuff is called stain block or similar; it's effective for this job and you'll certainly find it at B&Q etc. Agree with SS that white undercoat will probably be as good; the key is to use something oil-based.

David

Reply to
Lobster