Covering dark paint

Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow & Ball). SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats of white emulsion the only way?

Reply to
JohnP

It took years to realise the mistake ? :-)

Try stain-block paint.

Reply to
Andrew

White undercoat is designed to be thick on TiO2, may get better/quicker coverage that way.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What is the coving made of? A lot of mine is polystyrene, and in one room there had been a water leak leaving a brownish hue. it was a difficult thing to cover. As you say many coats of emulsion did, in the end fix it. Hopefully its not come back I'd never know!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:rlrm3u$s49$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It is not polystyrene - Plaster sections. I have polystyrene in another room - I think the builder "forgot" to do it - so I did .

Reply to
JohnP

Lining paper?

Reply to
Clive Arthur

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

3 coats of any decent emulsion will cover anything for far less.

The right paint will get that to 2 coats. At a pinch I've managed 1 coat, but not with emulsion.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

It took about 3 coats to get the deep matt green we wanted at the time.

Reply to
JohnP

Exactly. I've repainted most of this house last year and 3 (fairly thin rolled on) coats was what it took to achieve a color change of any sort.

So even if you start with white it will show through 2 coats.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"We" wanted. Do you mean indoor management wanted ?

Reply to
Andrew

As long as it's the same colour? :-D

Reply to