Couple of Kitchen Lecky Qs

Hi all

Progressing with my first fix OK, but suddenly realised that 2 of my fittings will finish close(ish) to the hob. On one side will be the cooker switch for controlling the hob only. On the other side will be a switched fused spur for power to the hood above the hob. At the moment the cooker switch is in place (existing) and there would be a distance of approx 275mm from the edge of the 600 wide hob to the centre of the switch. The switched fused spur would be a similar distance but on the other side of the hob. Is this clearance acceptable? Is there supporting text in the regs?

Another gotcha I realised is the switching of the dining room light from inside the kitchen. Coming in through the back door into the kitchen, I intend to have one way of a four gang switch control the dining room light (ie the room next to the kitchen). I have terminated the existing cables for this switch in a junction box in the kitchen loft and need to drop a switch cable. This will need to be 3 core and earth - is 1mm2 OK (and regs compliant) for switching a single fitting? All other lighting I have run in 1.5mm2, but the switch box is getting crouded! So going down to the switch I will have a live feed to the common and 2 switch wires to L1 and L2 (& cpc of course). Which colours do I use for each duty, and do I need to sleeve them? Use brown for common and sleeve the black and grey cores brown also maybe?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The only text about positioning of cooker switches is that they "must be within 2m of the cooker but not directy over it". So you are fine with your setup.

I cannot see that using 1.0mm will be a problem. I geuss that you have a 6A MCB and the runs of cable are not very long.

Yes, sleeve the black and grey wires with brown sleeving. There are no rules as to what colours go where. I always put the brown from the 3 core into the common though. see

ARWadsworth

"ARWadsworth" wrote

Excellent

Yes I have a 6A MCB and the cable run will be about 6m from the exsiting junction box termination down to a new switch position.

Thanks once again, Adam

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster