Council tax increase

I was chatting to a man in planning the other day. As loft conversions have to be notified too the council to get a lawful development certificate, this is at the discretion of the council whether they reband it or not.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's interesting, Brian. I spoke to the council this morning and they told me the banding change hadn't been made by them but by the Valuation Office.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Don't worry. We'll all be screwed if Corbyn ever get sin.

Reply to
bert

The trouble is there have been cases of one resident complaining that his or her CT was higher than their neighbours and they have ended up with the whole street being re-valued upwards!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You may well be right, or might have been right if things have changed etc? Daughter was going to put her Suzuki 600 Bandit on a SORN for now, simply because she couldn't justify insuring it (especially fully comp) and didn't want to loose her NCB. The broker suggested she put in on TPF&F that was about 1/3rd the price, so she could still ride it if she wanted. I'm not sure if they confirmed the 2 year period and I'm not sure if what applies to bikes also applies to cars etc?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We had that a few years ago and successfully challenged it.

"The value is based on the price the property would have sold for on the open market on 1 April 1991 in England and 1 April 2003 in Wales." See:

We got the information on local house prices in 1991 from the archives of the local paper and when the council officials visited they admitted that it was a borderline case and it wasn't worth their while trying to enforce a change.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Check here:

Properties that are subject to rebanding when sold are flagged with an 'improvement indicator'. (I think this is attached if a property has been altered after obtaining planning permission. In my street, two extended houses, that had pp, are flagged but mine, which was extended without, as a permitted development, isn't. (And my house was rebanded downwards after the extension was built. £3,000+ refund!))

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Wow. Was it a really rotten extension?

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Well, my car insurance went down after I had an accident ...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Council tax doesn't make sense. You buy a house and live in for 20 years, it increases in value, but you still pay the band it was in when you bought it. You sell the house, and the new owner has to pay a much higher band. Completely illogical.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Oh - did it improve the car? :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

No idea! :) It's a mystery. Perhaps they thought I'd be more careful in future.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No. The new owner only pays more if there have been changes to the property which put it into a higher band, otherwise they pay the same.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Letter from a firm of solicitors that I'd never heard of, saying that they's noticed that a house in the street had been rebanded and offering to submit an appeal on my behalf. If successful they would take 25% of the refund. I thought that if there was anything in it I should be able to make a claim without using a solicitor. Google found me the VOA website which showed that some houses in the street similar or larger than mine were banded lower. A phone call registered the claim, when I was warned that an investigation could mean my house stayed the same while other properties would be rebanded upwards. Five/six weeks later, I received notification that my claim had been successful.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Any implication that those banded upwards would know who had requested the investigation?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's fascinating Peter, thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Not what I've heard. I'm paying council tax on my house as though it's worth what I paid for it in 2000. At the 2017 price, I should be a couple of bands higher. If I sold it, they'd use the latest sale price.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No more illogical than basing council tax on property value in the first place.

Reply to
bert

Yes it is, they're basing it on an incorrect value.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No, it goes on the original 1991 price. If you make improvements, it goes on what the house would have been worth if those improvements had been in place in 1991. The current value at sale is immaterial.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker