Council recycling grinds to a halt

Creeps. I've seen their shops in Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary and Romania. They're about as charitable as Primark and probably a lot bigger.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === ==== Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739 557 CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts

Reply to
Jack Campin - bogus address

They have very good accountants. One Large Uk Charity boasts of spending 95%+ of its income on projects. Which would be nicer if the projects didn't have to spend large amounts on administrative support from headquarters.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

I remember it well. Our youth club bought Coke by the crate and the crates of empties were put out for collection when the next delivery was made.

When I was in New York a good few years ago there seemed to be some sort of deposit system on cans - it looked as if any outlet selling canned drinks had to give you back 5c or whatever on empty cans. My guess is that they didn't expect most people to go the bother of doing so, but those who might otherwise be begging could scavenge bins and return the cans, thus reducing litter and keeping them busy.

A plastic soft drink bottle I bought last week had a note on the label about a 5c deposit in South Australia, so perhaps they do something similar, again more probably as an anti-litter thing.

When I visited Zambia in the late 1980s, soft drinks cost something like ZK15 - 5 for the contents, 10 deposit on the bottle

- probably 99.9% reuse!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Could be made to work though by specifying a range for bottle diameter, and postion/size of opening relative to the base. Give those companies that comply and collect/reuse bottles a some "carbon credits".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed - some tolerance around a basic spec. would be possible. But once into the idea of sameness, the companies might find it cheaper and easier to just buy standard bottles in.

Maybe negative credits for non-compliance?

Reply to
Rod

There's a lot more awareness today re antisocial behaviour, litigation, and the massive amount of commercial dmage one incident can do to a brand. Why would any company a) choose to pay for a very extensive set of testing for every bottle or b) take the risk of the above scenario with no profit motive. It just doesnt add up today.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thats true of most, but there are always some that get no pocket money and are willing to do such stuff.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dunno, but that doesn't stop Barr's still using those twisty nicked glass bottles.

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 15 Nov 2008 10:45:45 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

The plant was built specially to deal with the things. I imagine that the company worked out what they were made of before they built the plant.

Reply to
David Hansen

On 15 Nov 2008 11:06:25 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

I suspect that the manager of a fairly local glass recycling company I discussed this with a year and a half ago had a good idea of the business. We were both lecturing on recycling at the time and discussed it amongst ourselves and with the students.

He said that there was a glass mountain in SE England and an inability to process enough of it. As a result the idea of putting it into roads was dreamt up. This had been bad news for his company as it had put the price of glass up, affecting them. It may or may not have made sense for SE England, but the effect had been felt elsewhere.

He found recycled glass coming in of variable quality. Provided it was carefully monitored as it came in there was no problem with getting a pure enough product out.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:51:11 GMT someone who may be "The Medway Handyman" wrote this:-

That does not mean it is the same everywhere. At all the collecting points around here there are three separate containers for glass and they are collected separately. I have also seen, in other places, class sorted at the roadside into individual compartments.

Reply to
David Hansen

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember David Hansen saying something like:

When the truck arrives...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

I didn't get a huge amount of pm - about the same as my pals - and none of us had any reluctance to go round collecting bottles, etc. We would pool the lot and divvy it up fairly. That was probably my first experience of collectiveness. There was one kid who was a few years younger and he didn't expect to get a full share - he was astonished and gratified to find he was entitled to it, as he'd been doing as much as anyone else.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I read something rcently about a sorting machine that worked on the shards of glass - automatically separating by colour. Hence, at collection point, no separation necessary. Or was it a dream... ?

Reply to
Rod

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:42:34 +0000 someone who may be Grimly Curmudgeon wrote this:-

Lorries arrive separately for the various containers.

Reply to
David Hansen

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember David Hansen saying something like:

Do They Fuck

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We've been told that although we can have additional recycling boxes on request, we would need to prove a requirement for an additional grey (landfill) bin. I've no idea where to put any more anyway...

Reply to
mick

They do in Dave's idealised world.

In the real world, we don't even have different containers for the glass..yes we have a white, green and a brown one, but they all say 'mixed glass'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The large ones with separate holes all had the internal dividing partitions removed very early on, as soon as they realised it couldn't be viably recycled into new glass.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:49:45 +0000 someone who may be Grimly Curmudgeon wrote this:-

Yawn. Proof by assertion and swearing. It may convince some, but the sensible can see through the bluster.

By the way, I live close enough to observe the comings and goings of the lorries. It is mildly amusing that you appear to assert that you know more about what happens where I live then I do.

Should you wish to be the butt of further laughter you may have the last word.

Reply to
David Hansen