Enough to piss a guy off !

I have come to the conclusion that our whole merchandising system is backwards. Why is it that when you go to a store such as Walmart and buy 10 items you end up leaving the store with 5 or more flimsy plastic bags? Why can they not make the bags big enough to actually hold something? Think this is enough to piss the hair off a gorilla? Well, your troubles just began. You are leaving the store and the Fu%^&^# bag breaks because they are made so poorly. It don't require rocket science to make a decent and usable bag. In fact when I was much younger, I remember paper bags. Yes, they actually made grocery store bags out of paper. They were strong, large enough to hold a lot of stuff, did not require oil to manufacture, and they were biodegradable. So, if they could make good bags back then, why can't they do it anymore?

But, thats just the introduction to the ultimate "piss off". This particular piss off happens when someone goes to a lumber yard and/or most hardware stores and buys some bulk nails. OK, I was just complaining about plastic bags, so I suppose I should be happy when they put my 5 lbs of nails in a brown paper bag. WRONG. In this case, I want plastic. Strong, and Clear plastic. Do you know what it's like when you've accumulated 25 brown paper bags of nails, and want to find the bag that contains the 10d commons? Lets waste the next 10 minutes going thru each bag. Actually, on second thought, lets waste the next hour and a half, because at least one of those paper bags is bound to rip open spilling nails all over the garage floor under the car tires and under the bench and God only knows where else they all landed.

So you finally find the nails you're looking for, and get back to work on your new deck. It's getting late in the day because you spent the last 2 hours sorting nail bags and cleaning up from all the bags that broke. The dew is starting to set in for the night, and you are rushing to put down the last few deck boards. You discover your nail pouch is empty so you rush over to the completed end of the deck to reload your pouch from that bag of nails you just spent 2 hours to find. You stick you hand in the bag and the bag disintegrates upon touching it, because the dew moistened the bottom of the bag. The entire contents of the bag are now half on top of your deck, and the other half fell thru the cracks in the deck and are gone forever unless you want to crawl in the mud under the deck picking them up one by one.

You soon find yourself working in the dark, cussing because you dont have enough nails to complete the job because they are mostly all under the deck in the mud and you can hear a rumble of thunder in the distance.

About that moment, you get the urge to jump in the pickup drive to the lumber yard where you bought the nails and beat the fu*% out of the store manager prior to buying more nails. Unfortunately they are closed. About that moment it starts to rain so you rush around picking up your tools and other materials. Thats when you pick up that brown bag full of large spikes that you used earlier in the day to make the frame. As you pick up that wet bag, you watch in slow motion as all the spikes scatter and fall thru the cracks in the decking.

Who is the fu*%ing idiot that decided that nails go in brown paper bags, and yet use plastic bags for darn near everything else. Is this the same fu*%ing idiot that designed the boxes for the pre-packaged nails? You know, those 1 LB and 5 LB boxes made of paper thin cardboard with a clear cellophane window in the box. You know, those boxes where the bottom always falls out, either before, or after the cellophane window breaks spilling nails out from both the window and the bottom of the box in unison.

If anyone knows this guy, please post his name and complete address. I'm sure most of us would like to deposit a few broken boxes and paper bags of roofing nails right outside his front door, with the points sticking UP.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Aren't screws better for a deck?

Just wondering.

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn

Or build a divided nail box. Takes about ten minutes if you stop for a break in the middle and a buck three eighty in materials, stackable, all nails visible.

Drawstring parachute bags, 5 gallon buckets with inserts, etc., if you want to go the store bought route.

I can't believe you keep nails in bags.

RicodJour

Exactly! Why ruin a rant with a dose of reality? My preference is for glass jars for the smaller quantities and coffee cans with a sample taped to the outside for larger quantity. Have them on 3 1/2" selves ranked by type/size between the studs of the garage.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Jeesh, life is rough, isn't it? If I were you I would:

Go back to Wal', buy a six pack. Don't need any kind of bag. Buy about a dozen large jars of mayo. Empty out the mayo, wash them, and put yer nails in the jars. While you are there, buy a few of those cloth shopping bags like your gramma used to use. Now you are set. Get out on the deck, enjoy the beers, and use granny's shopping bag for your empties and trash. Don't worry, they are washable and reuseable. If you have a major project coming up, you can get one of those granny shopping carts to haul stuff from the car to the yard.

They put enough packaging on the ink cartridges for my computer to contain Godzilla. Write the mfg of the nails and tell them their packages are junk. The boxes that wet wipes come in are great for hubby's tools/screws/drill bits that he leaves everywhere and blames me for his not being able to find them because I took them off the dining room table so's I could serve him dinner. Yeah, life is tough. And then you die. :o)

Reply to
Norminn

With an ex-wife you will never have enough money left to be able to go to a store.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

[...]

Since I work at Wal-Mart I can say with confidence that a lot of people who work at Wal-Mart are idiots. (I'll bet you never suspected that, did you?!)

The smart Wal-Mart cashiers will double bag anything that is heavy enough to break through a single bag. If they don't, tell them to. They have to do what you ask re. bagging merchandise. You can even tell them in advance of ringing up your items how you want your merchandise bagged. This can be fun if you get one of the idiots, or one of the ones who couldn't care less about your stuff and bags it any way he/she sees fit. ("Just get me out of here on time!") Watch their facial expressions while you're giving your instructions.

If it makes you feel any better, the bags are as big a pain in my ass as they are in yours, but probably for different reasons. I have told several people that, if I ever buy a gun and come into work/Wal-Mart shooting, it won't be at the people -- it will be at the bags on the carousels. I have no doubt that the other cashiers present will give me a standing ovation.

HTH,

Reply to
Suzie-Q

If you don't have an ex-wife you should get one. Then those flimsy bags cheap boxes will be minor.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Strong, clear plastic bags that nails start poking through approximately 2 microseconds after they're put in the bag. Yeah, right, great idea.

How hard is it, to take a pencil and write on the bag what's inside it?

Pencils are great time-savers.

If you'd written down what was in the bags when you bought them, you wouldn't have had to spend two hours sorting the bags. And if you'd bought them in five-pound cartons, you wouldn't have to clean up after broken bags.

If you'd marked the bags when you bought them, you would've been done before the dew set in. See how much time and effort you wasted?

Why? Is it his fault you didn't mark the bags when you bought them?

If you'd marked the bags when you bought them, you would've been finished before the rain came.

That "fu*%ing idiot" is at least smart enough to realize that nails won't poke through the sides of a paper bag. And I bet he's smart enough to mark the contents of his nail bags, too.

If you had marked the bags when you bought them, you would've been finished before the dew and the rain, and the bottoms of the boxes wouldn't have gotten wet either.

Oh, so now it's *his* fault you didn't mark the bags when you bought them. Right, I got it...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Mark, didn't I fire you a few years ago?

If this is the way you live your life, it is no wonder that you are angry all of the time.

Ever heard of coffee cans or any of thousands of other containers that you can transfer your purchases into that aren't DESIGNED to break down over time?

How about the advanced concept of marking what is in your containers on the outside, so you can tell at a glance what is in there?

Reply to
Robert Allison

Watch what your posting .Think of the recipient.You may be responsible for overloading a fragile mind

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Yes, and they come in 5# BOXES with little windows in them so he can see whats inside in case he can't read the writing on the box

Reply to
Rudy

Our local Ace lumber yard had both paper AND plastic bags for bulk scru&nails..u pick I NEVER take the paper ones. They're reserved for the original poster. They're available in 1# and 5# size..You write the code # on the bag with a pen chained to the nail/scru rack. The plastic is at least 6 mil and nothing pokes holes in them.

This guy needs a new hardware store..

Reply to
Rudy

and once I get the bags home, I put the nails/screws in their

Reply to
Rudy

Lets waste the next 10 minutes going thru each bag.

Didn't your grandfather have all those mason jar caps nailed to the ceiling of the garage/basement or on the underside of a nearby shelving unit?

You may realize now that he wasn't a silly old man after all. There was a good reason he had them there... to screw in a mason jar full of like fasteners.

Reply to
sleepdog

All of my nails and screws get re-packaged into cut-open

2-liter coke bottles or 1 gallon pland-spring bottles, anyway. The traveling tool-box gets 20-oz bottles.
Reply to
Goedjn

Lets waste the next 10 minutes going thru each bag.

Reply to
nospambob

Lets waste the next 10 minutes going thru each bag.

You see why I drink so much!

Reply to
harold balls