Cost of re-felting a flat roof ?

My workshop roof has sprung a leak recently. On inspection the felt is in poor condition but the substrate is sound and reuseable. Can't complain as it has lasted 26 years since I built it. I have had 2 reputable local companies in to quote for stripping and re-felting. Both seem competent and offer a 20 year guarantee. The quotes came in at £58 and £60 / sq.m. plus vat. Do these figures sound reasonable? The roof is 64 sq.m.

Not exactly DIY I know but I don't have the necessary equipment or the time. Also I'm a bit long in the tooth for such.

Thanks,

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Considering two blokes will do it in a day, nearly 4 grand seems a lot.

Reply to
nicknoxx

I've got a 6ft x 6ft outhouse with flat roof, which I wanted refelting quoted £350 to £400 resealed it myself for £42

Reply to
A Plumber

Why do you need to strip the old felt? Seems a lot of time, mess and expense when you could stick another layer on top. Or is there a reason? [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I suggest enquiring as to what felt they would use.

There are some better products on the market which you might want to consider.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I'm facing the same problem, though not quite so large a roof. Similarly around 25 years old, I did that felting myself and I also qualify now in the 'old tooth' category; substrate is excellent and so on.

This is my 'old' workshop which is now the 'Potting Shed' ! The new workshop I roofed with Onduline a couple of years back, and would suggest you look at that as I'm just going to lay that over the existing tired felt. Material cost is the same as felting, but the labour element is so easy that I did a 6m x 4 in half a day with just a partner to hand the sheets up to me.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If you intend the new roof to last a few decades then glass fibre might be a better option and would be well under 1000 quid in material.

connection etc)

Depending on the extent of the damage I'd be tempted to do a temporary repair with a trowelling repair mastic and do a proper job next summer.

Reply to
The Other Mike