Wrong time of year for a new flat roof?

I need a new flat roof :(

But is it the wrong time of year to be doing this? Will having it done in cold weather shorten the life time of the new roof? I am thinking of expansion and contraction throughout the year.

Also my current roof is green mineral felt. Had a couple of quotes, one guy would replace with green mineral. The other with green mineral just around the edges, then something else in the middle (can't remember name) which is then painted with some silver stuff which reflects the sun and stops expansion/contraction problems.

Which is better? Which is actually more expensive?

Any comments welcomed.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

No one /needs/ a flat roof ;-)

I can't see it making any real difference to the finished product. Might make it more difficult to install if it's wet though.

Reply to
Grunff

You can get fibreglass replacements for flat roofs - perhaps they might be a more durable replacement... We'll probably need one ourselves before too long.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I had no option with my attic conversion. Couldn't go up above the roof line. So saying, it's been ok. So far. Touch wood. But easy access when it does need doing, and the decking is all marine ply so should survive. That'll be a steep learning curve for a new skill for me when it finally needs doing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I had the roof on my new dormer done (July ish IIRC), the chaps doing it said they much prefer doing it in the cooler weather since it is so much cut the felt when its not all hot and soft (also much simpler to strip old felt when it is a little brittle). Since it is all bonded with hot tar, I doubt the ambient temperature will make that much differnce from a longevity point of view.

That is what they did on ours. Very neat job, As you say they just used mineral where it will be visible from below, plus about 6 inches of roof The rest was done with a smooth top felt and then mopped over with the silver finish.

The silver finish is better, and in our case was no more expensive. You have other options, fiberglass is one, there is also a rubberised coating option that is supposed to be good (although that will add at least 50% to the price).

Reply to
John Rumm

The chap who did ours last year was doing it in July when the weather was scorching poor bloke.

If I was going to be living in a house for some time then I would consider using either a fibreglass covering, or a butyl rubber cover. Both should have a longer life span than felt

Reply to
chris French

True, although felt if done well can last 20 years+

Reply to
John Rumm

We're having one today! I'll let you know in 10 years time how it went;-)

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

Hi Steve,

I recently had a flat roof problem and decided to put a fibreglass roof on myself a DIY project. I came across an ebook book priced =A32 advertised in google sponserd links on the web at;

It proved very beneficial it is in two sections one concerning hiring a flat roofer, i.e. questions to ask, how much you should pay, what materials should be used, how to avoid the "cowboys", what the isurance and guarantees mean etc; and another section concerned with DIY which included easy to understand graphic illustration. It was full of useful information concerning all aspects of flat roofing, how to fit the decking, different types of material, how to fit a warm roof, where to source fibreglass supplies and how to apply it etc; Best of luck with your roof;

and hope this is of help

Regards=20

Fred

Reply to