cost of lead (in this case code 8)

hi could anyone please let me know approximately what I should be paying for code 8 lead on a roof per square metre?

I've been given somewhat of an obscene quote (in my opinion), and I would love to know what other people think it should cost.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jim

Dunno, but I'd expect about 60 quid a square..I think I spent several hundred on a few rolls of guttering/flashing lead, and that was before the commodity boom.

Wait a few months till the recession/depression bites, and it will be cheaper ;-(

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

can you confirm - are you saying 60 quid per square metre of code 8? This is much less than I'm being quoted... can anyone else confirm/reject these figures?

I'm being quoted around 3k for 6m2 of code 8.

Is this outrageous? If anyone says this is, can they provide some web link giving general pricing?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

Why not get it from the 'horses mouth'?

at least you'll know how much 'mark-up' is being asked!

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

My starting price before haggling on Travis Perkins online is =A33.30 / kg. It is about 40kg per sq m, so that's =A3132 per sq m, or =A3792 for your 6 m.

auctions

I dunno. I know it was pretty expensive when I bought lead 7 years ago thats all, and it ain't got cheaper.

That was a pure guess.

3k does sound expensive I have to say. Thats £500 a sq meter, with presumably labour included?

Here. I've done your googling for you..

is code 4 lead mind you. About £100 a sq meter.

I THINK code 8 is simply twice as thick. So maybe £200 a sq meter.

8lb a sq foot.

Another way to get the price is to look at the weight. 6 sq meter=about

0.23 tons.

Unrefined Lead spot price is about 50p a lb Which puts a scrap value at

250 quid or so for that weight of lead.

So that much lead will be more than £250, probably around £600 quid.

If labour is included and the cost of presumably a crane to lift it and scaffolding, it may not be. If its the metal price alone, yes, on balance I think its taking the piss,.

Phone some of the web sites that deal with lead building sheet. The prce of lead is very volatile right now.

Note that if an old roof is being stripped, you should see around a couple of hundred back on the scrap old lead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That seems to agree with my sort of '£600, by other means'..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Code 8?????????????????

I would question this with either the BCO or the architect - for most applications code 3 is more than enough, and code 4 is a rarity....what are you doing with it?

Reply to
Phil L

Code 8 is for flat rooves from what I googled.

Code 4 is for flashings.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

I was told by a reasonably competent competent person that Code 4 was fine for my bay window flat roofs, which are about 3m x 700mm deep.

Is the OP's roof massive or have some other reason to need 3.55mm thick lead? BTW - its rather heavy at 40kg/m2

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I think its to do with the area under consideration or something. I am no expert.

Of course its heavy. Its LED innit! leaving aside whether it should be code 8, the price would seem to bee in the 6-800 mark for the lead alone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher